Thread: My young blokes first mackerel

My young blokes first mackerel

My young fella has been itching for a while to get out offshore fishing with me on the kayak. I've taken him a few times on a Viking Nemo I bought for him and his brothers a few years ago but he has always struggled with paddling any great distance or getting through the surf. Both of which precluded him from fishing at many of the locations I fish offshore. We tried off the beaches past Teewah over Christmas but the swell was a bit much and he just couldn't get out. But last weekend the swell drop our below 1m and with light easterly winds tending north later in the day I knew we were in with a good shot.

We headed up the beach early Sunday morning and launched into some of the best conditions I have had offshore in a kayak, the swell was tiny and he got out first go. I rigged him up with a big gar as a troll bait and we set about working the 15m line behind the break where there is often little patches of coffee rock to hold a bit of bait here and there.

It didn't take long for his reel to start screaming and next thing I know he was getting towed backwards at a rate of knots. Eventually he got the fish under control and worked it back to the kayak where I paddled up along side and sunk the gaff for him and pulled the fish aboard my yak which has a hatch that the fish can be safely stored inside.

It was a cracker of a first mack for him, a Spanish that measured 1200mm and weighed in at 7.9kg. He is constantly onto me now asking when we are going back up, and if I can buy him his own stealth kayak or offshore fishing outfit. I think I have created a monster. I'm not sure he is really aware of what he has achieved, many fisho's in both boats and yaks can only dream of catching a fish like this, he just thinks it's going to happen everytime he goes fishing now.
    IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg

Re: My young blokes first mackerel

No doubt about it. You have created a monster. Watch the strategically placed catalogues for offshore capable vessels in one form or another start to appear. Mine won't even come inshore fishing anymore. Nothing better than watching your kid get tied in knots by a decent fish I reckon. Well done to the young fella.

Sorry mate clumsy fingers I meant to like that story great work for the young fella I can't imagine what I would do with a set of teeth slashing around on my hobie ,good work he'll have the bug now big time...Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Simply awesome mate. Tip of the hat to ya

Thnaks for the report and photos.

Nothing better than seeing the " offspring " with big grins and full of enthuisasm.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Blog Entries

Great stuff Kev. Betcha he comes back for more!!