Thread: My First Fly Rod - Advice Please

My First Fly Rod - Advice Please

I'm planning a trip to NZ next month and I'm keen to try a little fly fishing.

Realistically though I live in Brisbane and I'm much more likely to be saltwater fishing in the long term.

If I buy an 8wt saltwater rod, can I use this (with floating line) for trout fishing in NZ.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Re: My First Fly Rod - Advice Please

Have you done any fly fishing before? Just learning to cast will be your first challenge.

I think you could use an 8wt for trout but a 6wt would be more suitable and a lot more fun. What sort of saltwater fishing are you thinking of? I've caught Barra up to 62cm and tarpon over 50cm on my 6wt, though you are restricted on size of fly with the lighter stuff.

I fished Tasmania last year (Twin Lakes) and caught trout up to 4kg on the 6wt. I didn't feel the need for anything heavier.

Are you thinking of using a guide in NZ? If so they would probably be able to lend you a suitable rod.

I agree with the 6wt, plenty for Flathead and Bass around Brisbane and good for NZ. Buy the most expensive rod and line that you can afford, don't worry too much about the reel. The floating line will be usable here too.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Thanks Scuttlebutt,
    I've had my first 2day tuition and would like to have a crack (with a lot more practice of course)
    I think a 6wt sounds like the go.
    Cheers.

Hi Jack

You just missed the Brisbane Fly Fishing club meeting this month. It would have been good for you to come along, meet other fly fishers and test a bunch of 6wts Adam from Tackle Land Sandgate had on hand . Good luck in NZ. I'm a reasonably well seasoned fly fisher and I struggled big time in NZ. So get lots of casting practice in. Think dinner plate at 30 feet accuracy.

Cheers
    Norm

Thanks Norm. I'll be taking a spinning outfit as backup. Even though I don't expect to catch anything on fly, I'm still looking forward to having a dabble.
    My next trip to NZ after that will be a full on fly assault.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    I agree with the 6wt, plenty for Flathead and Bass around Brisbane and good for NZ. Buy the most expensive rod and line that you can afford, don't worry too much about the reel. The floating line will be usable here too.
    I'd personally say to buy expensive line but your first rod should be a cheap to mid ranged price that has good reviews, purely because you are going to do things with that rod accidentally and learn a heap of lessons with it, for example I bought an Albright A5 (5wt) years ago for trout and it's a fantastic rod for a cheap price point, the 5wt shootout is here:

http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10359.htm

A newer one is here (just 5wt as an example, but another cheap-mid priced rod, the Fenwick Aetos did very well).

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...oop-optistream

anyway, I learned via a fly fishing store on a $1500 Loomis and stepping down to the albright wasn't too much of a gap imo. I've now got quite a few rods and someday I'll definitely buy a top of the line rod, but I'm glad it wasn't my first rod after almost snapping the tip a lot, accidentally hitting it on things etc. Sure some have a replacement warranty but while you're waiting for that part you aren't fishing, where two cheaper rods, one with a floating line and one with another type of line will be cheaper and you won't slap yourself when you make the inevitable beginner mistakes!

Cheers.

Just another quick point, here's an 8wt shootout where a $250 rod finished third in some very good company, personally I'd try one of these somewhere and if I like it I'd buy two.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...rod-comparison