Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bribie island Beach

Bribie island Beach

Hi all
    Just wondering what the beach is like at present and has anyone been up there and checked out the Fire rings they have put in.

Mrs H

Re: Bribie island Beach

Fire rings on ocean beach?
    i was camping there recently and the ranger told us there would never be fires allowed on ocean beach.
    Will have to go up and check them out
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    Fire rings on ocean beach?
    i was camping there recently and the ranger told us there would never be fires allowed on ocean beach.
    Will have to go up and check them out
    Just visit National Parks web site This alert applies to the following parks:

The installation of fire rings at Ocean Beach camping area is now complete. Campers can now enjoy an open fire in the designated QPWS fire rings. Remember to pack your own milled timber and check there isn't a fire ban in place before lighting a fire. Be fire safe, never leave your fire unattended, always extinguish with water and don't burn your rubbish. Only ashes should remain in fire rings when your fire is out.

Thats awesome as long as everyone does the right thing. If you get a chance let us know what they have done. We will be camping site 46 where toilet block is--family tradition so would be interested. hope they haven't put them in some stupid spot.

Mrs H

surely they have placed the fire rings in every campsite. I will be heading up there to camp for a few nights somewhere between feb 9 - feb 25th.
    We camp at that same group of sites also, good spot and handy being near the toilet and shower facility.

the thing that gives me the #$%$# is that people complain about not being able to have fires. The authorities create a safe option for us to have fires, then a few people blow it by saying, i don't want a fire there, i want it here and light one not in a designated point. I don't know how many designated fire spots i have seen not being used, fire lit in another not designated place and the designated fire place is full of broken glass left over from stupid idiots. really get pissed when i arrive at camp and have to spend the first hour picking up broken glass or making sure there is not hot coals left lying around in a not designated fire ring to avoid my young fella from stepping in hot coals, or broken glass and spend another 3 weeks in a burns ward. Lets hope the fire rings are used and respected. Ok , sorry, rant over............
    JN

Yep Ronnie, fire rings in designated camp sites, but not all.

Same as Fraser, very few fire rings.

Too many times I attempted to set up a beach camp and trying to find the clean sand is an issue. Apart from what JN mentioned, there is the buried ash / coals... turns the bloody sand black and then it covers your feet and you end up with it all over the place...

FWIW... I have camped at Fraser , and this will ALWAYS depend on the Ranger... I used the inside of a clothes dryer which was placed on top of three star pickets driven into the sand and sat about 400 - 500mm off the ground. Under that I have 600 x 600mm metal plate to catch the embers / ash. I also take an old steel paint drum ( empty and washed out ) to remove the ash etc from the plate and take it off the island. Further,, I have a lid ( perforated ) that sits on top of the dryer to stop embers flying out.

Having said that, I also use " manufactured fuel " as per the National Parks regulations and these are in the form of " Firelogs ".... you see this gets around the open fire bans... wood / timber is not " manufactured "... but the firelogs are... below is a photo of one brand, but there are a few... even Big W sell them ( Redheads ) like heat beads only better

Good luck out there and stay safe

cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

do you know which sites Phill ? I usually book online, so would like to pick a site with a fire ring if possible.

LP, I have done the same after a bad accident with my boy due to some other idiots stupidity. I use the drum out of an very old washing machine, mind you it took me half a day to figure out how to get the mongrel out, there is an easy way i know now......Also use a tray underneath to catch embers.
    JN

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    do you know which sites Phill ? I usually book online, so would like to pick a site with a fire ring if possible.
    No I don't..... are you refering to Fraser Island ?

best to call the Ranger and ask as camp sites like Waddy Point are all dedicted numbers etc now.

I camp up near Ocean Lake...

cheers

I use a little cast iron stove that comes apart in a travel bag of sorts. Use stuff like the eco logs (compressed saw dust that burns for ages and lights very easy) in it, great. Can cook off it and everything. Not the same as a dedicated fire, but great in those situations where fires just aren't allowed but something along these lines is. One of the best pieces of camping equipment I ever bought, I even use it at home sometimes during winter out on the back deck or yard, sit around it with a few drinks and cook up a hot damper.
    Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt, fish or ride.

Hi all

I thought being able to finally camp and have a fire would be such a good thing but gee you all sound so negative about it.

I am sure some will abuse the use of the fire rings and not do the right thing but for most of us we are responsible and will use this facility the way it is intended to be used. We aren't all idiots.

I look forward to cooking my toast and having a roast leg of lamb in the camp oven. A few bbq bricks is all thats needed.

We have a small rectangle fire pit that can be used for the camp oven and cooking my toast and I only need to use bbq bricks or logs. No need to actually light a fire in a supplied pit and very little residue left. Although it will be placed within pit confines.

I hear your concerns but you can't brand everyone as being irresponsible and leaving fires not extinguished properly or lit in the wrong places.

I am pleased that now I can enjoy abit of raisin toast and a few spuds in the coals to go with my roast lamb. Can't beat the taste of fire cooked food.

Mrs H

Phlll, no i meant Bribie. It sounded like you had been there recently by your post ,
    "Yep Ronnie, fire rings in designated camp sites, but not all.

Same as Fraser, very few fire rings."

Hi
    Anyone been up Bribie beach in the last few days.

Mrs h.

Attachment 107888Attachment 107887Attachment 107889Attachment 107890
    Hi All
    Just an update for those interested. Bribie was fantastic last week. They have installed large fire pits in most of the campsites on Ocean Beach. Really enjoyed my camp oven roast lamb pic 4 and just the peace of sitting watching the fire. roast Turkey was not on the menu-- drumsticks weren't big enough.
    They have graded the access track down to the beach with is a pain. Two lanes you may as well say and heaped all the sand in the middle. Not good at all as we found you slip and slide all over the place but it is driveable. Inland track is open and has a few soft bits but its fine.
    The second lagoon is flowing well at high tide so best off waiting a couple of hours after high tide to cross it.

All in all it was a great week and thoroughly enjoyed it-- so much so it was a shame to leave.

Thanks Ronnie,,, glad the trip went well. Now where are all those fish photos ?

cheers Phill