Thread: Building Opposite To Natural Backbone?

Building Opposite To Natural Backbone?

I normally build my rods so that they bend with the natural backbone. I remember reading somewhere (maybe on here) that there is an argument to say that building "opposite" the backbone makes for a stronger rod with better lifting power. I'm just about to do an O/H bottom basher build in a spiral. It struck me that the spiral would counter the extra "twist" associated by building opposite to the backbone and so maybe worth doing if there are actual strength/power to be had in being opposite the backbone.

Anyone got any ideas on this?

Scott

Re: Building Opposite To Natural Backbone?

Mate im thinking in an over head reel set up id be going with the back bone. Its hard enough keeping everything upright with a big overhead as it is without fighting against to natural bend of the rod..

Wayno, i agree but have you ever used a spiral wrap setup, totally takes the line on top torque out of the picture. This is why i recon its possible to go opposite bb, because of the spiral config

The backbone subject your referring to was brought up on the site by me a fair while ago.
    The backbone is the thickest part of the blank due to the process of rolling multiple flags.
    Where you choose to place your guides on the blank, in this case spiral wrap, has no relevance to the backbone. The rod still bends in the same direction so the blank still has to undergo compression and tension. By building with the spin under the curve, you place less strain on the wall of the blank when under load. Its not an argument or an idea, its just how it it. Blanks always bust from below the curve, never on top.

Stu, thanks, I had feeling it may have been a thread from you. So I'm still not 100 percent clear, will my rod be a better thing if build it opposite to normal so it bends against the natural curve in your opinion.

Scott

I build all my rods with the spine "thickest section of the wall of the blank" below the curve. When a blank is loaded up into a curve, the wall distorts into an oblong shape, below the curve which is in compression will always collapse inwards well before the top of the blank which is in tension ever lets go. In answering your question, yes, it will be a much better rod in terms of longevity regardless where you place your guides. It will also be more responsive.

I will also add that just because its normal doesn't make it right. There are many ideas and opinions, that have over time, been told and re told until it has become fact.
    Im not going to start up anything here, but some of them such as the spine issue is one that just annoys me at best. I wish I had $1 for every strange idea I have heard as to what makes a spine, what a spine is best used for, there are false spines and real spines in the one blank,???? that one makes be laugh, but so it goes on.

I've got about half a dozen spiral wrap rods, from Jig Sticks to Baitcasters. I can't fault them. To highlight what Stuart is saying, grap a plastic drinking straw and bend it until it kinks. It will always kink at the inside of the curve, glass and graphite can't kink, so they break.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Thanks Stu go the message now and understand. Dale, I have built a few spirals myself and am a big fan like you. This ones going to be a "spiral against the natural curve" so we'll see how it goes.