Thread: Old faithful rebirth

Old faithful rebirth

In my middle age I am finally starting to learn that buying quality rods to start with would have reduced the number of rods I have tucked up under the pergola, which should all be thrown away, after retiring them.

But there was one rod I bought when I was a teenager, I don't remember what caused me to break away from the mainstream "Cheapies" I was accustomed to buying, I don't remember how much I paid for it, but I think I stumbled on one rod that was to be the weapon of choice for many years. I can't imagine how many fish it has caught over that time - lots! Having converted to braid and mostly soft plastics, the old faithful would only be brought as a backup or if my crew consisted of complete novices that didn't own a rod of their own. Binding has come loose while being used, and I would dive into my tackle box for a quick and makeshift little binding repair to prevent line guides from falling off or the line wrapping itself in binding loose near the guide - severely hampers your cast when this happens!!

Then last week I took two others out for a fish, I gave them my best rods and brought old faithful out for me to use. One of the other rods suddenly had an issue. One line guide had apparently corroded through closest to the blank where there should have been epoxy. Buggar! Rethread the line through and continue fishing with the 3rd guide removed. It's time to have this professionally fixed, off to Rockys Rod building I go!

On arrival, Rocky seemed more interested in the Old rod than he was the new, he said he recognised the blank from a bygone era, saying that this old Pacific Compass glass was worth rebuilding - can't get them anymore apparently. All work was completed within 24 hours, and what came back left me speechless. New binding, extra line guide, new butt cap and grips. If I made public what Rocky charged me he would have to be booked till next Christmas. From now on this Rod gets pride of place on any future trips, It looks as nice as a Live fibre straight off the showroom floor. Can't wait to catch another fish on it, which will be soon I hope. If anyone wants Rockys number for rod repairs, he is on the southside and I can post up his number here or PM.

Scalem
    103_7569.jpg103_7570.jpg103_7571.jpg

Re: Old faithful rebirth

Good work Scalem,
    its a coincidence, I just stripped down a 15 year old surf rod of mine which I lent out last weekend, one guide was r/s so I thought I would re-build it only just yesterday, and Just put the first coat of epoxy on today, looking good.
    The rod has seen lots of action in Bermagui. I even stripped down the reel, Abu Garcia 909 and gave it a good clean and grease, this reel came with the rod and is a perfect match. The rod is a Jarvis walker 3m 90gram max weight, yes only a cheapy these days, but cost me around $200 in its time.
    I will put some pics on when complete.
    The current surf rod, I refurbished a graphite rod, and put titanium sic guides on and a daiwa Saltiga surf reel, with saltiga surf line, If I was to replace rod and reel today, it would be a stupid cost of $900, stupid for only a once a year use! One thing tho, the saltiga surf braid is the best braid I have ever come across. You know when you see fishermen run down the beach and cast, well, I don't move from the high sand area and cast further, imo, its not just the guides, the line is silky smooth, try it.

Cheers
    Russ

Thanks for the reminder Brian.

I too have some old favs that I should re-build, rather than fixing up.

At the moment I have a rod I am re-building for a a mate ... an original Ugly Stick.. the " Tiger " manufactured in the USA... they don't make 'em like that anymore.

Strangely enough, all the rods I have built are still going strong, as opposed to some of the shop bought models, depsite the price.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I saw a rod recently that is only 3 ft long, designed for kayaking which I thought was an ugly stick. I was told it comes from the same factory, but yes, the old ugly was indestructible and worth rebuilding. It's not until you speak to a professional rod builder that you understand the shortfalls that mass produced rods have. The "other" rod didn't have enough resin to seal the line guides to the blank, so despite me wrinsing after every trip, the moisture sat in the wrong place causing corrosion. Who would have thunk? I now know what to look for but should be content with what I have before I am in the market for another one.... But then there are jigsticks and there are jigsticks... in the 80 - 100 lb.. which I might have to look at if I keep trying to jig up the YT kings before the sharks move in.... But that's all, no more!! LOL

Scalem