Thread: Viable fishing jetski models

Viable fishing jetski models

Is it possible to get a sticky thread or similar with an updated list of viable fishing ski models are out there?
    I'm at outset of looking for a ski that can do longer range (Morton trips) and cover fishing and spearing myself - hunting through lists to work out what has good combination of duckboard size, fuel capacity/efficiency and open water comfort/survivability is tough unless you take the 1st answer "Get a Yama HO" - then it's easy ;o)

Especially if there are "bad years" where the hull design etc. wasn't up to the job that the model easily covers off on more modern versions...........

So far I have looked at:

Seado gtx 155
    Yamaha Ho
    Yamaha VX cruiser
    Kawa ultra LX

Any additions to list for new and 2nd hand list scans?

Thanks

G

Re: Viable fishing jetski models

I did the research and came up with a VX Cruiser.

Economy ( EFI 4 stroke )
    Large duckboard for esky
    No turbo, supercharger etc... less maintenance
    110Hp.......... plenty of grunt
    Prices are good at the moment. Fellow AF'er just picked up a 2011 model with 36 hrs on it for under 7K...

Cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I have a 2004 Seadoo Wake. The wake model gives you a folding ladder and a ski pole.

Normally travelling offshore at around 50km, so there is no need for being turbo-charged. Our 155hp is heaps. And better fuel economy.
    (Tops out around 75-80 on real flat water, which also seems to be the speed limit for the icebox, whose flopped open and snapped off at that speed.)

There is far more to organise than just a fish box. In fact I started organising my gear weeks before buying my ski.
    I made a rack to carry the 70L icebox and rods, gaff, net, drink holders, lures etc. You can even tie crab pots to it.

This worked well until my first spear fishing trip on that jetski....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Poker View Post
    I have a 2004 Seadoo Wake.

This worked well until my first spear fishing trip on that jetski....
    You have any pics of your spear set up?

Yamaha were the first with the 4 stroke in 2002 followed by seadoo in the same year. Kawasaski released their 4 stroke in 2003.
    So if looking for a 4 stroke, search from 2002 up.
    Can someone, anyone please like my facebook page? I need at least 30 likes.... Please

http://www.facebook.com/suncoastcivilwater

Can someone, anyone please like my facebook page? I need at least 30 likes.... Please

http://www.facebook.com/suncoastcivilwater

Quote Originally Posted by Gavfish View Post
    You have any pics of your spear set up?
    ski xxx.jpg

I removed the rack because it made things too hard and too slow to get back on board.
    Especially in a chop, also when you feel the need to get out of the water quickly.
    The reason is because you cant transfer your body weight immediately on to the boarding platform. You are forced to use the rear ladder to climb all the way out of the water and hang out the back for a moment.
    This increases your weight just like leverage, and the ski broach

So I just have 2 rod holders on the back now. And use an insulated cooler bag that I run along the footrest.
    As for storing the spear gun, I am yet to decide on anything better than laying it alongside the cooler bag.
    Carrying the gun upright - with the spear tip and folding barbs above and behind you - or indeed in front of you as you get back on board, seems like a bad idea.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Smile Re: Viable fishing jetski models

[QUOTE=Gavfish;1576078]Is it possible to get a sticky thread or similar with an updated list of viable fishing ski models are out there?
    I'm at outset of looking for a ski that can do longer range (Morton trips) and cover fishing and spearing myself - hunting through lists to work out what has good combination of duckboard size, fuel capacity/efficiency and open water comfort/survivability is tough unless you take the 1st answer "Get a Yama HO" - then it's easy ;o)

Especially if there are "bad years" where the hull design etc. wasn't up to the job that the model easily covers off on more modern versions...........

So far I have looked at:

Seado gtx 155
    Yamaha Ho
    Yamaha VX cruiser
    Kawa ultra LX

I can't comment on the Seado or the Kawa ultra but I have a 2008 Yamaha FXHO with the Tubby's fitted,
    The Tubby's give me so much stability and room for storage for the big trips off shore and it also gives you clear access to the boarding platform and ladder which I think divers would like.
    Last weekend 7 of us headed out from the Seaway and made our way across to the 65m mark out from Jumpinpin in rough conditions looking for the small black marlin which were reported to out there with no success.
    My mates have Yamahas all but one are FX HO's in years from 2006 to 2014 models, my other mate has a VX Yamaha and the big difference there is he has a much wetter ride with a lot more water over the front in rough conditions.
    The VX dosn't have any Trim which I find very helpful,
    The VX only has a 40 litre fuel tank compared to the FX which has a 60 litre tank,
    I clocked up 85km on the trip and used 45 liters so I can safely do 100km on a trip, I trolled lures all the way home which doesn't help fuel economy because you can't get up on a nice plane,
    This is about the fifth trip I have done out off the coast in the last month all about the 80 to 90 kms with only 1 fish caught and it was a stunning Dolphin fish of about 15 to 20 kg but I lost him with a bad gaff shot when he was still green next to the ski
    I might be wrong on this one, the Yamaha are the only jetski which run air cleaners, this helps keep the salt air out of the engine,
    All said and done I have clocked up 200hrs in 16 months and the Yammy has run faultlessly in that time

Cheers StuBruns Snapper.jpg

Hi There,What are those Tubbys you have and where do you get them,Do you have any more Pics.
    Wayne.