Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealer Trade In vs Private Sale?

Dealer Trade In vs Private Sale?

Would like some opinions if I may on those that have either traded in there outboard motors when re-powering or sold there outboard privately?

Are marine dealerships similar to car dealerships when trading in or do they normally look at it from a different perspective being a marine outboard? Obviously make,model, year, condition and hours of use is a factor so I'd like some opinions on what others have done? Thanks Again!

Wayno's
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

Re: Dealer Trade In vs Private Sale?

I'd say from past experience that they will try and screw you as hard as they can telling you that your trade is worthless and they will do you a favour by taking it off your hands for sweet FA.......

Your best bet with a dealer is to trade with like for like in brands......As soon as you change brands that's their opening to tell you yours is worthless.........So yeah I rate boat salesmen lower than car salesmen.

Always better doing a private sale but it is convenient to just offload and pay the difference and not have to deal with the tyre kickers.

Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

The dealer will want to make money on your trade in,so I'd expect you would get a bit more privatley.
    Do dealer's offer any warranty on used motor's ?
    Cheers

Most reputable dealers offer a good warranty, any rubbish motors (regardless of what the owner thinks) are scrapped, as a general rule, once they get to a certain age, most dealers do not resell them, they go off to the wreckers, who pay a pittance for them, but, that's business.

Always try to sell privately if you are on a budget. Dealers don"t want the motor if it is suspect. You"ll probalbly get a better deal on the new donk if you walk in with cash and no baggage. They sell old outboards by the kilo. A mate of mine a few years ago was offered 50 cents a kilo for an old 2 banger.

Private everytime. I have never traded a motor or boat and were several thousand dollars in front everytime.

As above. Of course the dealer is going to want to make money - he isn't there just for our convenience and most people would expect some sort of warranty on a second hand motor that the dealer usually has to cover at least half of. That said, I have been quoted numbers before that did have me wondering if the dealer was taking the piss. In these situations I just vote with my feet and go somewhere else. Ultimately it is up to you to decide if you are getting a good deal taking all of the circumstances into account. Sometimes the price is only a component of the overall package.

dealers = very bad rip ppl... no idea how they sleep knowing the steal
    privite = your choice your rules, your research

Some good advice here. Thanks. I did jump on red book but I'm a bit confused with there pricing strategy? I am considering re-powering from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke with the same manufacturer and my existing outboard is a 2009 Mercury 75 HP with approx 37 hours on it and serviced annually regardless. Low hours of use I know but that's all about to change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSkipper View Post
    Some good advice here. Thanks. I did jump on red book but I'm a bit confused with there pricing strategy? I am considering re-powering from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke with the same manufacturer and my existing outboard is a 2009 Mercury 75 HP with approx 37 hours on it and serviced annually regardless. Low hours of use I know but that's all about to change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Given the low hours for it's age I would think you are best selling privately if you want best result. Then walk in with cash for your new donk.

I think some of the statements about all dealers being rip offs are a long way off the mark, when it comes to trade ins, most people have a very unrealistic idea on what their motor/boat is actually worth, as mentioned the dealer has to resell your old motor, and make some sort of profit, plus cover warranty, to a dealer a (say) ten year old motor, is a ten year old motor, you might think it is fabulous, and looks great, and never given you a moments trouble (makes you wonder why you are selling it doesn't it?) but to them, it is near on scrap value, they may offer it for sale cheap to someone, or even fit it to a trade in boat that has a crap motor to make a better second hand package, some people don't like selling stuff privately, people coming around, doing water tests, and offering peanuts for your motor, they prefer to just get a good change over price and be done with it, lets face it, the change over price is all that matters, not what the new motor costs, or what trade in they offered.

I investigated trading my then 2 yr old ETEC with 47 hours on it. Brisbane Yamaha told me to sell it myself and then see them with cash and they would be able to do me a deal ( I appreciated his honest advice) AMC where the motor was bought from offered 4k towards the cost of Suzuki. Mercury and Honda dealers never got back to me. At the time the few I found advertised were selling for around 8k privately.
    In the end I have kept the motor as it has been a bloody good motor. Spent the coin i saved not upgrading motor on upgrading fishing gear!!

A dealers trade in price will usually reflect the risk he associates with the item he is purchasing. In your case I would say there is very little so your trade in price should be relatively strong. Have a look to see what is being asked by dealers for motors that are similar, that is most likely the price range a dealer will be needing to advertise your motor for to be able to sell it and they will be looking to make a margin. A lot of people get the shits with a dealer actually making a dollar but they are in business, reputable dealers will also provide a warranty but the cost they put on this will be taken care of in the risk assessment when they offer you a trade in price. Also remember that money doesnt buy everything peace of mind, customer service and care also trusting the dealer to look after your new purchase must be taken into account. Oh yeah as a foot note, no I'm not a dealer. Good luck Belly.

Dealer Trade In vs Private Sale?

Well, some fantastic advice here, thanks a tonne to all. The dealer I have been seeing annually to have my current outboard serviced is very reputable. I'd rather not mention their name cause they've already been praised so many times on here for there outstanding customer service and they've even offered me a nice discount off the new motor. Yes absolutely I agree that not all boat dealers are rip off merchants and they are in business for a reason. Trading in is alot less of a headache without rubber neckers wasting ones time. I'm wanting to trade to a 4 stroke because I'm not happy with the fuel economy from the carby 2 stroke not to mention the exhaust fumes and noise emitted as I have 2 boys aged 1 and 6.. Don't get me wrong! The carby 2 stroke is a great outboard, bucket loads of torque but it just doesn't fit in if you can understand? I think I'll have a chat with my service agent and see what becomes of this. Thanks Ausfishers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

The other aspect of private sale (of just the motor) is the hassle of having the motor and all the controls removed. Do you want Joe Public removing it from your boat for you? Do you have the time, equipment and skills to remove it yourself? It's a negotiable part of a trade in on a new motor because they'll be doing the install at the same time.