Thread: Penn 4500ll

Penn 4500ll

Anyone own this reel??, happy with it???, couldnt help myself and added it to my Penn collection though havent even used or spooled it with line yet..

Re: Penn 4500ll

Don't know that particular model!

U.S. forums most like it for the money.

Hi, I just bought a SSV6500LL second hand two days ago for $60, next size up from the one you are asking about, so haven't tried it out yet either, the model name of yours should be SSV4500LL, that is, if it is the baitrunner (Live Liner) style. As mine was second hand, I gave it a clean, opened it up to re-grease it and check for water ingress but it was clean. Seems like it is a solid sort of reel with a good drag, the guy selling it moved down from up the top end of Oz where he said he caught heaps of big macs GT's etc. on it and it never gave him any trouble.

I spooled it with 50lb braid but it will be a while till I get to use it, also about to pick up a SSV8500LL early next week, which is the next size up and will spool it with 65lb braid. As both of these reels won't be used for a couple of months due to my health, I can't comment on if they actually are any good, but so far they seem to be quite solid reels. Slightly heavy and they don't have a reverse lever to let out line without lifting the bail arm.

Cheers

Ed.

These are a ok reel for the money,still looked at as being a budget priced reel as anything selling around the $130 - $200 price range is in the lower end of the market.

it depends if you're fishing 2-3 days a week or 4-6 hours every 2-3 weeks to how long they last.
    No problems in getting parts or servicing but after a while they start to get a bit loose.

i still use the SSm when surf fishing chest deep in a wetsuit i get around a year from them chasing Jews.The only reason i use them is i may have to let the rod go for survival reasons and i don't want to let expensive gear be lost.

Thanks all and appreciate the replies, not that im short on fishing reels especially the Penn models. Gets to a point ya just cant help yourself lol..
    In the Penn department i have a few anbd one still looks as good n clean as the day i purchased it Many Many moons ago. Drag spool split on me and had the local tackle shop try get me a new one but total waste of time having it there!!??..Ended up getting online and had another one in my hands in less than a week so still have it and use it for light lures or fishing for whiting in the gutters..
    This new reel im still trying to work out where or for what i will use it but with the Grandchildren i have im sure it will get used lol...
    Ed, Yes mate i also have the heavier one loaded with 50lb braid and gets to apoint when you get out wide which Rod n reel to use ??..

got the 560LL ...brilliant reel ...nice smooth drag ...

Got the 8500LL... brilliant reel, nice smooth drag.

lol astro.

hahhaa .........

Hey Volvo, I just picked up the SSV8500LL reel this afternoon and it's going to be my heavy spin reel. Afterwards I went to BCF to pick up an Ugly stick for the 6500LL and had a feel of the SSV4500LL and also about 10 other type/brands in about the same size and I have got to admit, it does feel nice and better than the others, so now it looks like I might be chasing a SSV4500LL as well for myself! Will have to wait till Anaconda have another 30% off sale as the wallet is draining faster than I can fill it, still have to build a 24kg stick for the 8500LL.

Cheers

Ed.

Oh no not ed again

Spears, is there a problem or something you wish to add?