Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microwave guide experiment

Microwave guide experiment

Hi all,
    Ive built 2 identical rods all accept for the guides. Both rods a MHX 6'6 2-4kg with a fast action, one with microwave spin guides and the other with fuji titanium guides.
    I coducted a casting test where i used the same lure blank, spin reel and length of leader. I did about 20 cast with each and marking the ground each time. It ended up a draw, i could not cast any further with these microwave guides then the rod with standard guides. One thing i did notice is the rod with the micro guides was a lot lighter, smoother while casting and very accurate.
    there is claims of up to 20% in casting distance achieved. Im not completely sold on these microwave guides now. Thats not to say there not good. Definite weight reduction achieved.
    Before you ask, yes the guides were setup to manufactures specifications.
    What are your thoughts? Has any of you done this also?
    regards Bucky

Re: Microwave guide experiment

What size were the Fuji Titaniums and what type? Were the microwaves Titanium? I would have thought you would have had minimal weight difference if you used similar sized Fuji guides.

Daintreeboy,
    the hole point to this was there are claims of upto 20% gains in casting distance over the conventional guide setup. So that being said the rod with fuji guides was setup with 25,16,12,10,8,6,6 & 6 tip/top. Have you seen microwave guides? If i was to use similar size fuji guide (defeting the purpose) would be a 25,6,4,4,4,4,4,4 & tip and yes as you could imagine there is weight reductions compared to conventional setup.
    cheers Bucky

Daintreeboy
    Its not just guide weight, you have to add thread and gloss. The guide foot of micro guides is so tiny, hense less thread less gloss. There is another thread on here on the best way to put these on. Some guys are tacking them on with super glue. I used tape and struggled.
    Regads Bucky

Yeah I've heard a lot about them so have a set to try as well. I'll probably build it in a few months.
    I'm possibly going to build one with Fuji guides as well, both to fit reels in the shimano 2500 type size.
    I was looking at starting with a 20 Fuji though and that would help the next couple of reduction guides. 20, 12, 8 then 6 to the tip, or 5s. Do you reckon this would be pushing it to much? The 20 was going to be a high frame K so I thought it might be alright. That would even up the weight aspect between the two.

I reworked a Berkley Dropshot 2-4kg rod over xmas to using the original 20 stripper, new 12, 8, 5, 5, 5, 5, tip.
    The size 8 and 5's were BLAG.
    Casts fine and less wobble as you cast. Using 8lb braid casting 3.5gram jig head averaging about 18 to 20m.

I will be updating several more rods to the BLAG guides this yr.
    Jack.

I built a rod for my brother MHX 7' 2-4 kg, fast/Lt started with a 20, 12, 8, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6 tip and casts like a bullet. I tape them on and do a few cast test, then static test till im happy. He loves chasing whiting on poppers and needed it to cast light lures a long way with 4lb braid on a 2500 spinn. I also balanced it to suite how he holds it. I know hes very happy with it.
    Keep us posted on how your 2 rods go daintreeboy.

Whats your idea of a conventinal guide set up the Bucky2,compairing fuji titaniums in the fuji new concept guide ring sizers with the micros is not the same thing, the slippery titaniums and the fuji new concept make up the difference. When the yanks talk about conventional guide set up the it will be 30 20 16 12 10 8 6 T for a 7ft spinner with low quality oxide rings theres the difference in casting distance between micro guide set up and conventional set up.

In the youtube clips the claims are said to be against any rod with concentric guide setup. So why cant i put fuji titanium guides up against them.
    When you're the champ you fight the number 2 contender, not someone whos ranked No.6. If you no what i mean lol

Chris, 30,20,16,12,10,8,6 T ?? You buy any quality store bought 6'6 or 7' rod, it wouldn't have that setup?

Well bucky 2 read what you have written you said claims up to 20% gains over any conventional set up,in the USA those guide sizes are normal if you buy a guide set and any quality store bought rods all have the new concept guide sizes,have a look at the mudhole and see what guide sets they put together,what ive mentioned above.

As you no titanium guides are the slippyest guides you can get, if the micro guide ring were titanium as well then you would have a true comparision between your 2 6'6 rods is what im saying

Ive built a overhead MHX bass micro guide rod for some one and liked how it cast and like wrapping the guides and just used tape as there very had to line up and get perfect on the 0-90 i would not even consider useing super glue to stick any guide on.

I thought the lighter weight towards the tip to help with rod speed through the cast was the only improvement Titanium guides would have over their steel counterparts? The line passes though the rings and should not touch the frames so Titanium should not make any difference from that perspective.

Would you not think that if you have titanium guides there would be a sic ring in it.

Fuji Titanium single foot guides can come with SiC rings in the form of TSLG or TKBAC with alconite rings.
    The fact they are titanium have nothing to do with the speed, titanium has everything to do with weight not sogging the blank's action.

SiC guides differ from the Alconite guides in one main factor, SiC dissipates heat from friction much quicker than Alconite, Cermet and hardalloy. They are all polished to similar surface texture ratings. Some materials will obtain near mirror finishes, others will remain dull regardless of the polishing.
    Jack.

If your paying for Fuji titanium guides and do not pay for the best inserts your mad and being titanium being lighter makes for better blank speed and that gets turned into line speed,when someone says i have put on Fuji titanium guides you expect that they have put them on for them to have the best guide money can buy for less weight and the best ring to get the best casting distance from your blank.

When i see the words Fuji titanium guides the last thing i think about is a titanium frame with a s##t alconite insert,years ago if someone said to me ive got fuji titanium guides i would have only thought gold cermets.