Picked up a project engine for a good price(I hope). Poor fella that owned it before snapped it reversing into a car by mistake. I just got it home tonight and looked over what needs to be replaced judging by the damage. To me it seems I need to find another DT15 minus the powerhead and then just transfer the powerhead over.

I thought I was in luck on first inspection as the part that holds the steering tube on at the lower leg section looked intact. On closer inpsection the mounts on the inside have busted. This is how I've arrived at the opinion of needing to just move the powerhead.

The catch is however, I've never done this type of job on a newer model engine, only 1980s vintage. I would like to know two things.

This is a picture of the lower leg. You can clearly see the crack in the mount in the pic. Have I come to the correct opinion that I need to transfer the powerhead?

lowerleg.jpg

There is also this shaft that goes from the engine to the leg. I don't know the name of it or what it does. If I had to guess either water pump or gear selector. On the older outboards these were all inside the leg with the water being driven by the drive shaft. Which leans me to the gear selector. It's been bent on a right angle. Would this cause any engine damage I should be aware of?

engine.jpg

Many thanks in advance!