Thread: Bribie Island Camping with boat

Bribie Island Camping with boat

I'm looking to take my young bloke camping in a couple of weekends time and thought about heading to Bribie with my 4.1m tinnie. A tentative plan is to launch from Donnybrook and camp at either Mission Pt or Lime Pocket and then fish in the passage.

I've been to Bribie plenty of times and have camped on Ocean Beach and at Poverty Ck but never at Mission Pt or Lime Pocket so I've not no idea what these two areas are like. I did a search of the forum and there were a couple of mentions of Mission Pt but not really much info. So can anyone provide any current advice as to which of these is the preferred camping area? Is there any particular camp sites at each area that are better/worse than the others?

The tides are not the best - low tide of 0.7m at just after 2pm on the Sat and 0.6m just after 3pm on Sunday. Is is possible to get into/out of the camp site on tides this low and we will be able to move around the passage to fish? I can get up there Sat morning and get to the camp ground while there is more water but don't then want to be stuck there all afternoon.

Thanks

Re: Bribie Island Camping with boat

The northen camp spots at limepocket are better i think you might find a log to get in and out of the boat at low tide.

Mission Pt is great for camps & boats, have driven past Lime & it looks pretty ordinary.
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

Hi
    Mission point is good although at low tide it can be a little tricky. Boat can become "marooned" at low tide so long rope to tie it up is best. mozzies and sandflies can be quite bad although we haven't been there for awhile so can't tell you what they are like at present.

mrs H

mission point is a great spot with good campsites. Pick the campsites on the ends - sites 1-4 or 8-12, because the middle ones have a lot of coffee rock / mud out front which is a real pain in the ass at low tide. Big sandbar straight across full of yabbies to keep your young bloke busy.
    There are sandbars everywhere but you can get in and out of the area easily at low tide
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Thanks for the info everyone. I took my boy up to Mission Pt over the weekend and we had a great time. What a fantastic spot! We camped in site 1 and had beautiful white sandy beach out the front, no problem with tides. We spent some time fishing the sandbar straight across from the camp ground and the beach just north of the camp ground. Caught a few small whiting and flathead but the trip was more about spending time with the young fella than fishing and he had a great time.

We loved it so much when we got home yesterday I got online last and booked a site for a family trip over easter.