Thread: Does higher KW transducer give better bottom reading at speed?

Does higher KW transducer give better bottom reading at speed?

Does higher KW transducer give better bottom reading at speed or is it all down to set up?

Re: Does higher KW transducer give better bottom reading at speed?

Primarily down to set up. Sometimes the 1Kw setups are worse due to the extra sensitivity of the transducer - depends on the source of the noise issue. They can be more difficult due to physical shape and dimension as well depending on the type.

not always. the signals coming back up will be stronger. but beam angles. transducer placement. ping, star signs, so many things.

different TYPES of transducers perform better sure

but.. the question is. at speed............what are you looking for on the bottom?

just looking for small bommies travelling between spots, i generally travel between 80-100ks a trip and a lot of my fishing is based on these small, isolated bommies/shoals in between 50-60 metres of water. I had a 600w transducer (furuno) on my previous boat, which would read good until about 40 kph and then would break up, no matter how i set up the transducer. My new rig is a Haines Hunter 680sf and im tossing up between going through the hull or putting the transducer out the back and trying to work out if the 1 kw will benefit me or not. Cruise speed is 65km/h and i dont fish in more than 60 metres of water.