Thread: Smoked almonds

Smoked almonds

Decided on giving some almonds a try in the gas smoker. I soaked the almonds in a bowl of water for 10 mins, then drained the contents in a colander and placed them back into the bowl. Put the paprika, garlic and salt in and gave it a good mix. Then I placed them onto wire racks.

Turned the smoker on and got it smoking with a large piece of hickory. I then placed the racks on the top shelves and started the roasting. They roasted for 2 1/2 hours at around 90 degs... checking after the smoke finished every so often to make sure they weren't burning.

Obviously you can make up different recipes to suit your own likings - a bit like beef jerky.

They turned out great!

Ingredients:
    * almonds 750g
    * paprika 1 Tablespoon.
    * powered garlic 1 Tablespoon.
    * salt 1 Teaspoon.

DSC_0001a.jpgDSC_0002.jpg

Darren
    Good things come to those who bait

Re: Smoked almonds

Nice work mate.
    Smoker looks a good unit too, I picked up a charcoal smoker from Masters which works well for jerky too.
    Last time we smoked almonds, we used an old hot cabinet and we walked out of that kitchen at the end of the shift smelling like we'd been battling bushfires for the last 8 hours!
    Cheers
    Chris

Thanks for the recipe Darren, I did a batch of almonds per your recipe and they turned out perfect.
    Very hard to put them down when you start nibbling.
    The price of raw almonds is a bit hexy but found some at Aldi for $11 per 750 grams.
    Also i used a chip mat to put them on whilst in the smoker.
    bazza

Quote Originally Posted by fishychrissy View Post
    Nice work mate.
    Smoker looks a good unit too, I picked up a charcoal smoker from Masters which works well for jerky too.
    Last time we smoked almonds, we used an old hot cabinet and we walked out of that kitchen at the end of the shift smelling like we'd been battling bushfires for the last 8 hours!
    Cheers
    Chris
    Thanks Chris,

Picked the smoker up from Aldi about a month ago and using it all the time. The old webber is gathering dust. I couldn't get the jerky right using charcoal so I got a dehydrator.

To add the smoke flavour to the jerky I use 2 hooded bbq's with a pole between them both in the hoods. I dehydrate the meat first then transfer it on racks to the 2nd bbq I start smoking in the 1st bbq and the smoke is transfered to the 2nd bbq via the pipe.

This set up is a cold smoke and I even do cheese, now that's really nice!

cheers
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by bazza65 View Post
    Thanks for the recipe Darren, I did a batch of almonds per your recipe and they turned out perfect.
    Very hard to put them down when you start nibbling.
    The price of raw almonds is a bit hexy but found some at Aldi for $11 per 750 grams.
    Also i used a chip mat to put them on whilst in the smoker.
    bazza
    Thanks Bazza, I'm hearing you mate! Some stores want 16 bucks for 750g. I'm glad you are enjoying them.

cheers
    Darren