Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on Penn Spinfishrer SSV8500LL

Opinion on Penn Spinfisher SSV8500LL

Hi Guy's, most of my gear is overhead and don't have any spinning reels, so as Anaconda have a 30% off sale on fishing gear this week, I put one of these baitrunner Spinfisher V5 SSV8500LL reels on lay-by, since doing so, I have read reports of the main gear being out of cast Zinc and that it doesn't hold up well to wear and also that the water resistance isn't that great despite what Penn claim.

So do any of you guys have one and what are your real world experiences of this reel. I had a quick look at the Okuma Salina 3 reels specs but they only have a single 5000 model in the baitrunner style of reel. Stronger drag but not nearly as much line capacity, also one or two reports of the frame breaking off at the neck.

With the discount the Penn came to $154 which is a good price, but just wondering if I should cancel the lay-by and get a different baitrunner reel or am I over thinking it. Any opinions?

Cheers

Ed.

Re: Opinion on Penn Spinfishrer SSV8500LL

Mate I have that exact reel and I love it.
    With the LL I can have the First drag set so Jews can go for a run and then with a wind of the handle click it into gear and the main drag kicks in and we're into it..

Ive also used it last year trolling for mackerel and done the job like I hoped it would.

A very good site on all things Penn is
    http://www.stripersonline.com/f/6643/penn-fishing

I think you have the SSV and the SSM mixed up.. the SSV is near bullet proof as it gets
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

So it's looks like it's a keeper then!

The SSV is a good reel,the one's who complain about them usually mistreat reels

I've had the 850LL for about year now. Can't kill it.

I also have the previous 3 models of Spinfishers.

I have been waiting for many years for Penn to bring out a good baitrunner ( live liner ).

BTW. I run 65lb braid on it and married it to a 7'6" Ugly Stick.

Treat the reels right and they'll last a lifetime.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I don't have the baitrunner type but the V series Spinfisher is excellent. I am thinking about changing right over to them as they seen to be very powerful and I love the simple strong design.

I have two of the smaller ones, and think they are great.

There are a few little thing to consider though. I have managed to damage the plastic (nylon?) bushing in the centre of the spool on my 6500. It was easy to replace but the postage upped the price to over $10.
    This was caused by a spirited fight by a 1m+ salmson fish on 30lb line. I noticed a week or two later that the drag would stick every 180 degrees. My conclusion was that several high speed runs in close succession at 4-5kg drag had heated up the bushing to the point where it deformed.

There is a comprehensive review of this reel at http://www.alanhawk.com/ . His conclusion was that structurally they can't handle the maximum drag pressures that are specified (he managed to break a 8500 fishing with the drag set to 10kg), and are not quite as waterproof as advertised, otherwise a good reel for the price.

I saw that review, that why I was asking about the SSV8500LL version. If I get a reel that is advertised at being rated for 15Kg drag then I expect it to work at 15kg. Anyway I won't be using it around March as I have to make a rod to suit, so will test it out then.

If you're not sure grab a rod and a brick,tie some string to the brick and run the string through the rod runners and tie off to reel seat.
    Have a look at the bend of the rod trying to pick up a 2kg brick,then think if you could pick up a object that's 15kg.This exercise shows you won't be getting no where near 15kg of drag.

I don't think that is the point, I know what 15kg of drag feels like, but as the tester at http://www.alanhawk.com/ said it was used on 10kg before it had problems, not intending to lift 15kg vertically up on a spinning rod, but if I lock up the drag at 15 kg and hold the rod straight inline to a large fish heading for the horizon then I would like to get that 15kg of drag as advertised. This is assuming that the fish is far enough away from the boat that this is even possible. Either way the reel should be capable to deliver what it is advertised at.

Ok i see what ur asking for as a reel
    Then this is not the reel for you.
    You are asking too much from a $150 reel.

I use the penns but i'm prepared to replace it at any given time for another when chasing mulloway and shark.

The price isn't not the issue here whether it is a $150 reel (after 30% discount) or even if it was a $300+ reel. My view is that if the manufacturers state it is capable of 15kg drag then it should be built to withstand that drag tension. I have much bigger overheads too, but if I was casting towards a reef wall and a large fish took the bait/lure/popper and was trying to get to a reef wall to go into a cave or towards a bommie then I could lock up the drag and try to prevent that. That is the reason I wanted a spinning reel, big overheads don't cast well, if I see some action on the surface and use it to cast, and some horse comes up and beat the others then I want that reel to perform to stated specs and give me the 15kg it is supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    I don't think that is the point, I know what 15kg of drag feels like, but as the tester at http://www.alanhawk.com/ said it was used on 10kg before it had problems, not intending to lift 15kg vertically up on a spinning rod, but if I lock up the drag at 15 kg and hold the rod straight inline to a large fish heading for the horizon then I would like to get that 15kg of drag as advertised. This is assuming that the fish is far enough away from the boat that this is even possible. Either way the reel should be capable to deliver what it is advertised at.
    I couldn't find the SSV850LL in the link to Alanhawk you posted. Only found the 850. Is there a direct link to the actual SSV850LL ?

I suppose we all want what the manufacturer states in their spiel. The SSV850LL has a " max " drag of 35lbs, which probably means it will work at that drag pressure... so for how long . is the question. I have seen the Penn review. https://www.youtube.com/v/6kBGseTxMhc%26rel=0 The critical part starts at about 4 minutes into this video.

I suppose we should be prepared for differences, in that would one tow 3.5tons behind a Colorado rated to tow 3.5 tons..... and when ever has anyone achieved the actual fuel economy stated for a specific vehicle ?

That drag theory is an interesting one. It is alright to test ( as in the video ) the drag set at 35lbs.... and expect that to transfer to the fishing experience, but we all know fish do not exert constant pressure... Their initial hit an run may hit the drag limit of 35lbs, but when a fish does that, it also has the capability to power on and off during the fight, in which case the power exerted can exceed the 35lbs, therein lies the problem.

I never set my drags to the maximum stated by the manufacturer. I set it to the line class or breaking strain of the line... OR.... what I feel is necessary to " hold " a fish and at the same time making an allowance for the surges and huge tail pushes ( force ) that some fish can produce. A 20 - 30 second run at 25lbs drag pressure can be sustained, but the same run at 35lbs max drag will surely do damage...IMO

At any rate, these are a great reel. so far. They are much heavier than previous models and the 850 can be tiresome trying to cast all day. I mainly use it for floatlining ( live and dead baits ) and the ocassional bottom bashing. The 550 would be better suited to a days casting at Spotties and mack tuna... IMO.

My rod I put the 850 on is a 6 - 9kg fast taper.

I may make a dedicated rod for this reel, but time will tell.

cheers Phill
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 01-01-2015 at 10:43 PM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

ive got the 560LL and its one of the best reels ive had....even with the drag cranked up it is still silky smooth which was the problem with the last couple of baitrunners ive had ....lost so many fish to the jerky drag...run it on a 6'6 ..6 to 10kg ugly stick gold with 80 pound braid ...W.S.R ....its a killer