Thread: Safest way to change this stuffed trim pump on 2002 Merc 115 hp

Safest way to change this stuffed trim pump on 2002 Merc 115 hp

Like they say, there's always something to spend your money on with these. Although this pump is functioning as it should and the ram is fine, it's obviously not going to for much longer. I understand these are under pressure so, having not done one before, whats the safest way to replace it without ending up with injury. It's almost as though the casing is peeling off in layers. Also, best place to buy a genuine replacement, Ebay US ?

IMG_1055.jpgIMG_1054.jpg

Re: Safest way to change this stuffed trim pump on 2002 Merc 115 hp

The electric motor is not under any pressure, it is just a motor with a flat or some sort of drive that fits into the pump, you could probably just clean that one up, treat it and keep it covered in spray of some sort.

Oh, I see, so the top section that has the corrosion is just the electric motor housing which just needs smearing with a bit grease to keep out the salt and thus prolong it's life. So the high pressure sign refers to the lower section where the filler hole is which is a totally separate pressurized area ?
    OK, thanks for that, it's not quite as desperate as I initially thought then, but that motor will eventually fail I suppose.

It needs a clean up and some sort of rustproofing agent regularly applied - Lanolin or the like but I have seen a lot worse. It may fail eventually but may be years away.