Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015. Agnes Water / 1770. Meet & Greet.

Re: 2015. Agnes Water / 1770. Meet & Greet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    And just so you know it's time to start getting ya shit sorted...

• 9,590,400 seconds
    • 159,840 minutes
    • 2664 hours
    • 111 sleeps
    • 15 weeks and 6 sleeps to go people.
    Yep started that up here on the sunny coast, got here last sunday with front left trailer wheel hanging off. Fixed. Then on way out last thursday and noticed right rear wheel on trailer hanging off, faaarrrrk. Have now removed and replaced All wheel bearings. Now reasonably, confident that the bearings don't like travelling at 120k plus mark.

HTB Grease is the one to use, Mr C.

LP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

And actual trailer maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by Wardysin View Post
    And actual trailer maintenance
    Did that on saturday before we left Wardy. Pumped grease in to bearing buddies till it was coming out of the excess hole, and it still fell apart haha

IMO... only. Bearing Buddies are your worst enemy. They impart a false sense of security.

Any trailer that gets its wheels drowned upon launch, should have a visual bearing inspection done every 4th - 5th trip. Especially if the launching is done immediately after the trip to the ramp, ie:- bearings / wheels are warm. The cooling down of the bearings when the trailer is backed into the water causes shrinkage and as a result, sucks water into small cavities, like around the bearing seals etc.

Another pro-active step is when you stop to fuel up at the servo, no matter how far you've towed the boat, walk around the trailer and bend down and touch the bearing covers to test for " heat ". Good indicator that something is amiss and time to make it right, before disaster happens. BTW.... the bearing covers should never be any more than " slightly warm ".

><> LP
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 25-05-2015 at 05:25 PM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

IMO... only. Bearing Buddies are your worst enemy. The impart a false sense of security.

Any trailer that gets its wheels drowned upon launch, should have a visual bearing inspection done every 4th - 5th trip. Especially if the launching is done immediately after the trip to the ramp, ie:- bearings / wheels are warm. The cooling down of the bearings when the trailer is backed into the water causes shrinkage and as a result, sucks water into small cavities, like around the bearing seals etc.

Another pro-active step is when you stop to fuel up at the servo, no matter how far you've towed the boat, walk around the trailer and bend down and touch the bearing covers to test for " heat ". Good indicator that something is amiss and time to make it right, before disaster happens. BTW.... the bearing covers should never be any more than " slightly warm ".

><> LP
    I couldn't agree more Phill, I fail to see how the bearing buddies get more than a poofteenth of a drop into the bearings, especially the inside bearing. I am the first to admit that when it comes to the trailer, I am very slack. I hate pulling the bearings apart. But obviously, it is far better to do it that way in the first place, and as you say, on a more often basis.

IMO... only. Bearing Buddies are your worst enemy. The impart a false sense of security.

><> LP
    That exactly what my maintenance man did when we took the boat for a test tow behind the new vehicle, & he pick up 2 of the 6 were too warm & fixed accordingly!!

Tony

Guys for those with single axle trailers I would highly recommend converting to the Durahub oil system for your boat trailer. I built my off road camper/boat trailer (1.8t) which I finished nearly 5 years ago and fitted them from new (land cruiser bearings). I'm still running on the original bearings and they are still in perfect nick when I check them every six months. I have a new set of bearings ready to go on but I just want to see how long I get out of them first.

On my dual axle trailer I set them up with Durahub also but I have had more problems with water getting into the oil. I've tried everything to get a better seal but have now put it down to the pressure that gets exerted on the dual wheels when turning and I always get a little bit of water in there after 5 or 6 trips which makes the oil go milky. I've since gone to a combination of grease and oil which has improved the problem a bit. It's still far superior to standard grease hubs which I found out the hard way are allowing sea water in almost every time they are submerged even when cold.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Good advice above, check everything twice, no time to be stuck on side of the road if the reds are on the chew

Phill,
    As per chat, all Team C will be attending + 2 x randoms:
    Stilla C (Chong)
    Green C (Lee)
    Red C (Tranter)
    Justa C (J.D.)
    K.F.C. (Tangles)
    Any C (Wardie)
    Big C (Stuart)
    Black C (Deiter)
    Random C x 2

I can pass on info to all members if required

Cheers
    Cheers,
    Chong

OK, I have been asked to give this a bit of a rev, so here you go, whether you asked for it or not.

This will be my 8th or 9th year, too much grogg has passed my lip's to be sure.
    Every year has been absolutely brilliant.
    You get to meet new people, like them or if you like, hate them but definitely get on with them. You get to go fishing in some of the most pristine fishing water I have seen, ever.
    Weather permitting, you may get to overnight on the Barrier Reef, bloody awesome.
    You get to drink copious amounts of alcohol, if you want.
    You may even catch the not as elusive as some thought RED EMPORER.
    It only took me 7 years to get a legal one, and now I can't catch them, ha.

In all honesty, if you want a great time, turn up, order a T shirt, Bring ya boat, bring ya misses (be careful) especially if you bring your daughter, oops did I say that.
    This is without a doubt the best time you will ever have with your clothes on... . ha

Cheers
    Rob T/Red C
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 27-05-2015 at 10:07 AM.

Tranter,
    You are such a Red C it's funny...nice one and its all true...best week of the year (as boys week) for me, got to be careful in case Mrs Chong logs on....
    Wont be long and we be there....
    Count down Phill?

Cheers
    Chong / Stilla C
    Cheers,
    Chong

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Guys for those with single axle trailers I would highly recommend converting to the Durahub oil system for your boat trailer. I built my off road camper/boat trailer (1.8t) which I finished nearly 5 years ago and fitted them from new (land cruiser bearings). I'm still running on the original bearings and they are still in perfect nick when I check them every six months. I have a new set of bearings ready to go on but I just want to see how long I get out of them first.

On my dual axle trailer I set them up with Durahub also but I have had more problems with water getting into the oil. I've tried everything to get a better seal but have now put it down to the pressure that gets exerted on the dual wheels when turning and I always get a little bit of water in there after 5 or 6 trips which makes the oil go milky. I've since gone to a combination of grease and oil which has improved the problem a bit. It's still far superior to standard grease hubs which I found out the hard way are allowing sea water in almost every time they are submerged even when cold.
    In 5 years with dual axles I have only had to fix up one leaking rear seal on the dura hubs and then I put the stainless steel doovalacky on the stub axle and has been as good as gold - all of them - but I have 3 more doovalackies to replace on others should the time and need arise.

Number one tip with trailer is after any reasonable trip as soon as stop just touch tyres and hubs and if any are getting hot then an issue is on the way - easy to check at ramp or servo - that was a tip I got off the Dunbier trailer site - reckon it's worth sharing.
    Cheers

Trev

We have been attending this meet and greet for nearly ten years I guess, always as a family...missus me and three kids, the kids have grown up for 2 weeks every year at 1770...can't put a price on that....we visit the board walk and isolated southern beach each year, do the skate park with scooters, bikes and boards...buy ice creams...have barby queues with Ausfish and other mates that visit...we have stored other guys boats at our rental house when they have had to leave for emergent situations, we have changed bearings and housed total strangers (Ausfish members) who put out a call for assistance and now we are still great mates, we share beers together, we fish together, we would tow anyone back home or head out to help anyone that required a hand, we raise money for volunteer groups and feel good about doing it whilst enjoying some great social gatherings, your place is our place and visa versa, I have even put a Victoria onto a Snapper to make him feel at home , taken out members who don't have their own boat, and spent a few hours cleaning Ausfish mates fish with them.

This was our first meet and greet location with Ausfish and since then have enjoyed many a tag a long trip with guys and girls with similar interests and honestly I would find it hard to meet a better, genuine bunch of people, each year we meet someone new and this adds to the friendship circle for years to come.

The shirts are part of the week for me and it is hard to throw out the old ones with the logos of sponsors on when they are full of holes or stained with Red Emperor slime, it is just a great thing to be apart of. If you are debating attending, for the first time, just don't debate it any longer, contact a real-estate, book a house and come along.

As other members have said above, in different ways, it is what you make it, and we make it our annual holiday filled with great memories every year. Feel free to give me a call 0408848564 or PM me if you want to say G'day or come over for a barby anytime before or during the meet and greet, our kids (15boy, 12girl and 9girl years) don't mind play dates either if you are bringing the family along we can join up on the beach for sand dune surfing, sand castle building or just chilling out on the wii whilst we have a couple of beverages on the back deck. We are counting the sleeps 109, and starting to get excited again for the holiday to 1770. Looking forward to catching up with those we already know and those we will get to meet for the first time... Cheers to all, Kev.

i luv it when you guys talk it up.....im going to reel spool something, polish a hook, make some joy...drink some joy...

I have a feeling this year 2015 is going to one of the best yet, and i WILL get the biggest RED ( in one form or another )
    Cheers
    Cheers,
    Chong

Cool Re: 2015. Agnes Water / 1770. Meet & Greet.

i knew you and Red C where close but fair suck of the joy Stilla C, biggest Red, that grouper is still waiting for you
    Tangles KFC