Thread: Scarborough boat ramp

Scarborough boat ramp

I'm thinking of leaving my car and trailer overnight at Scarborough boat ramp for a trip to Moreton Island. I've just been reading about some issues a couple of years ago with trailers being interferred with. Is it safe to leave my car and trailer there now? If not, what are my options?
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Scarborough boat ramp

Eelman ,

Both the Scarby ramps are about as safe they can be ,no guarantees.

If the overnight conditions are good both ramps will pretty much run all night with early starters and late finishers from the day before , you can view that as good and bad I spose.
    I have not heard of major problems but I'm sure it would have happened at some point. I reckon the Boat Club side would be better as it is less isolated.

Birdy

Plenty of people do it. I've done it a few times without problems (Generally unplanned after too many beers at Tanga's) I do worry what I'm going to come back to though but all good so far. I would say DO IT, but as Birdy says there are no guarantees.

Eelman, you need one these. You will be able to park anyway anytime.

yeah i would use the ramp next to the boat club. A lot more people hang around the coastguard ramp of a night time
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Thanks for your replies. I've never used either, so I didn't know if they were both public ramps, but will use the boat club ramp and take my spare wheel off the trailer & lock the pin in my tow hitch. That's about all I can do, except put my dash cam recorder in the back, facing the trailer to record any movement.
    Cheers guys.

I'm more worried about the car, I take everything out particularly personal papers in case of ID theft etc.

dont u got insurance? if u do u shouldnt worrie at all, lol

I don't know about you, but if I got back to the ramp to find my car and trailer gone or even just the trailer gone I would be screwed. I have no idea how I would get my boat home.
    I could get use of another car pretty easy but a trailer, not so easy.
    Darren

A couple of years ago, the modus operandi of the dodgy bast##### was to smash a window in the car, get the rego papers or owners manual out of the glove box, check the address, and then go rob the house, knowing that most likely, the owner was out on the water.

One of my mates had his shed broken into and a couple of thousand bucks worth of rods, reels and tackle stolen, in this exact situation.

I never leave anything with my home address in the car any more, for that reason.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

but like mention above, joining a boat club is always wroth the extra buck if u fish alot, otherwise the golden rule to fishing and will always be, tell some1 where your going and about what time you might be back, otherwise if the miss isnt doing anything get her to drop u n boat at ramp and come home, or get a mate too.. lesson learnt from ramping off deeral afew time, first time they took the winch, then replace and bolt it it in, then they took the wheels and that was last straw...

I'm happy to say that I left my car and trailer at Scarborough Boat Club ramp on Christmas Eve when I was over at Moreton Island. I'm very impressed with the ramp! I even forgot to take the winch handle off, and then when almost out of the harbour, I turned around and went back in the hope I hadn't lost it. It wasn't on the trailer, but then I found it on the grass. It must have fallen off the trailer on the way to parking the car, and instead of losing it, someone was kind enough to leave it there for me. If you're reading this, thank-you! I came back from Moreton Island on Christmas Day, and found everything as it should be. I had a great time away for my first overnighter on the new boat!