Thread: Jack outfit advice

Jack outfit advice

Guys
    like advice on a baitcaster setup for tight In close jack fishing I know a 5.8 rod is more the size but what brands would be the pic and reel to match,
    also river snags around the 6.2 size rod and reel choice .
    read a lot but like to hear what you boys are thinking cost can be low or high .
    SEALEGGS

Re: Jack outfit advice

Personally KT, I'm more concerned about the reel than the rod. A stiff rod like a graphite lets you wrangle the buggers out of the pylons/logs/rocks but it is also less forgiving. A soft rod like an ugly stick etc is more forgiving but you have to be quicker to stiff arm the buggers if you're in tight country. Graphite also tends to break on me in the middle of a trip.
    As far as reels are concerned, I'm experienced with the Shimano Calcutta 400B which is a fantastic reel with a smooth drag under strain, most important thing. I also use a Daiwa HRF and an Abu Revo saltwater. both of these are good reels. On occasions I have used a Calcutta 700b if there's a chance I will mix with a bigger fingermark.
    Hope that helps. Just the ones I know about.

Thanks Sheik
    Abu revo reels are on the list , I was also looking at a zillion .
    As for tight country I was thing Gloomis 5/8 as for the river snags with more room I'm not sure .
    Havent been with the bait casters for long but I believe that there more accurate when fishing snags .
    SEALEGGS

You could use a spin stick you get accurate with practice I use gloomis with a green curado and a new curado. Also have 13 rod has been pretty sweet I got talked into a daiwa sol not a bad reel so far.

Its all about personal choice KT but a 5ft6 to 6ft for tight, i still use a old berkely bump IM6 with a curado200B and a berkely lighting 5ft6 IM7 with a daiwa alphas very small reel that fits well in the hand ,keeping things small and light then the rod and reel become a extention of your arm which gives you a better accuarcy,for me when i started chaseing jacks in tight cover came down to the lure weight and size and how they loaded the rod at the distance i was casting,and to add to this its like playing tennis one minite your cast overhead , forearm or back hand to get your lures in snags and under trees branches gaps in the bank.

You need a reel that feels good in your hand with the rod and balanced,but not to fast were your tip is pointed too is were your lure will go and shooting is a foot above the bank and deep into cover can blow your chance for a jack as theres a lot of casts inbetween jacks

For more open river 7ft you will get more leverage and distance and you can use a spinner for that.

Im not suggesting you buy one of these rods but if you can find one of these and hold one and load it up you will get a feel of what to look for as these so many rods out there today the Gloomis GL2 is similar to a IM6 the GL3 loomis is like the IM7 lightning and just as many reels that will suit tossing lures for jacks.
    GL2 722C JWR 1/4 - 5/8oz 6' 1pc 8-14lb Baitcast

FLBSR723C 3/16 - 5/8oz 6' 1pc 8-14lb Baitcast

BCR663 Mossy Back 5/16 - 5/8oz 5’6” 1pc 12-16lb Baitcast

The best thing is to start off with something that feels right for you for now, learn how to cast well and then fine tune to suit your lures and casting style and more importantly the area you fish all creeks are not the same,but once your happy with what you have no snag or creek will hold you back as getting your lure in tight is were the jack will be and thats your starting point to catching one on a lure,have fun.

I went Daiwa with my last one simply due to the larger line guide allowing the leader knot through a bit easier.

Thanks heaps guys ,chris69 great info , my origin 4.6 toy should be ready by February 2015 and can't wait it will have all the toys to go with it .
    been a member for a long time and just sat back but hope to meet some good fishing buddies to flick lures with .

Cheers guys
    SEALEGGS