Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fisheries policy and Tilapia when will they learn

Re: Fisheries policy and Tilapia when will they learn

Whilst on this topic, Fisheries Officers with a fish biologist have been seen in Somerset Dam using electric stun gun to float fish to the surface. This serves two purposes. Collecting declared pest fish to dispatch in one bin and another bin was used to place non pest fish to recover and release.

The main reason why Fisheries does not want people to take tilapia home is that their offsprings/ babies can survive up to 48 hours out of water, this was aired on Brisbane TV channel sometime this year.

That might have something to do with fishers cutting the head of tilapia and dumping back in the waterway. I'm not sure if tilapia are mouth brooders, hence the 48 hour survival.

I could be wrong but that's basically what I heard and seen on TV.

Cheers, Bondy

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Whilst on this topic, Fisheries Officers with a fish biologist have been seen in Somerset Dam using electric stun gun to float fish to the surface. This serves two purposes. Collecting declared pest fish to dispatch in one bin and another bin was used to place non pest fish to recover and release.

The main reason why Fisheries does not want people to take tilapia home is that their offsprings/ babies can survive up to 48 hours out of water, this was aired on Brisbane TV channel sometime this year.

That might have something to do with fishers cutting the head of tilapia and dumping back in the waterway. I'm not sure if tilapia are mouth brooders, hence the 48 hour survival.

I could be wrong but that's basically what I heard and seen on TV.

Cheers, Bondy
    Have a look at the photos I posted on the previous page Bondy

Anyone got a picture of an adult tilapia Previous link doesn't work
    pat.
    I agree whole hatred with the attitude of fisheries it's like communism , there were 2. Boys so 40 was fine they new if it went to court themed get thrown out .
    I myself left fishing sold my boat because of the over regulations tha are hard to follow eg green zones, it'd be a hell of a lot easier if navionics etc just put them, properly I mite add shaded so you know we're you are!
    im hoping those boys don't git into mischief or worse stay inside and just play vid games.
    Would be traumatising for a youngster, don't forget , and I'd be the same THEY HAD TO LOOK UP DETAILS ETC not all are that savy ,
    every one have a happy new year
    pat

Post from NSW fisheries on sweetwater site.
    17 Dec 2014 - NSW DPI

The Department of Primary Industries (DPI) is seeking assistance from the public to help stop the spread of Tilapia, one of the world's most invasive fish species, after they were recently detected in the far north east of the State.

DPI Strategy Leader Aquatic Biosecurity Melissa Walker said community assistance is urgently needed to control the spread these pest fish, which were recently found in Bogangar Canal and Cudgen Lake, south of Kingscliff.

"The highest risk for transporting Tilapia is via humans carrying live fish or eggs," Ms Walker said.

"If people catch or find a Tilapia, it is vital that the fish is not returned to the water.

"Our advice to anyone who catches or finds Tilapia is to humanely destroy and dispose of it appropriately.

"In any case of uncertainty about identification, we recommend taking a good quality photo then calling the Aquatic Pest Hotline immediately for confirmation."

Ms Walker said Tilapia have pale olive to silver-grey bodies, with a long continuous dorsal fin, and can grow to more than 36 centimetres and live up to 13 years.

"The fish are particularly threatening because they are such successful breeders," Ms Walker said.

"Mothers produce up to 1200 eggs a year and protect their young fry in their mouths for up to 14 days before releasing them.

"This technique, known as 'mouth brooding', ensures that even if the mother is not living, any eggs in the mouth have the potential to survive.

"Once established in a flowing river or creek, these fish are almost impossible to eradicate so it is important to stop the spread of tilapia now before it's too late."

Tilapia impact on native fish numbers by competing for habitat and food, behaving aggressively, disturbing aquatic vegetation and could potentially introduce disease and parasites.

DPI Fisheries and Biosecurity staff are working with local council to coordinate surveys of the surrounding areas to help inform potential management options for this invasive pest fish.

Sightings of Tilapia can be reported to DPI by:
    * Phone: 02 4916 3877 (24 hour hotline)

Report to moderator

Sweetwater Fishing Home http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by TheGurn View Post
    I saw tilapia for sale in the local seafood store a few weeks ago.
    Wonder how they got around all the regs to do this. Haven't seen them since tho.
    Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    That is totally legal as long as the seller has a paper trail to prove they came by them legally.
    I don't think that's right Dale, not for Qld.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGurn View Post
    I saw tilapia for sale in the local seafood store a few weeks ago.
    Wonder how they got around all the regs to do this. Haven't seen them since tho.
    Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    That is totally legal as long as the seller has a paper trail to prove they came by them legally.

From the Qld Government's Dept of Agriculture web site. (Tilapia training package)

FAQ's
    What should I do if I spot someone trying to
    sell tilapia (dead or alive) in Queensland?
    You are not encouraged to approach the seller
    about the legal ramifications of their actions.
    Instead, you should report this sort of activity
    immediately by contacting the DEEDI Customer
    Service Centre:
    Telephone: 13 25 23
    Email: pestfish@deedi.qld.gov.au
    Web: <www.fisheries.qld.gov.au> and search
    for ‘report a pest fish sighting’

Can people eat tilapia?
    Tilapia is a popular food fish in Asia, Africa and
    the South Pacific. However, the use of tilapia for
    consumption in Queensland is illegal.

https://www.daff.qld.gov.au/__data/a...troduction.pdf

Well there you go, The fishmonger i frequent always has frozen tilapia for sale.

What would be the problem with filleting when caught and disposal of frame(mouth and eggs included) then carried out at the site of capture?

Promoting the eating of tilapia = spreading them by stupid people who want to have them closer to home so they don'y have to go as far to get them.

That is why fisheries don't want to promote tilapia in any way shape or form.

Encouraging people to eat them will do nothing to control their number but it will ensure they get spread to new waters.

You just need to look at what has happened to red claw. They appeared in a few of our big dams, probably escaped from farm dams, then as soon as they became popular as a recreational catch, they suddenly started turning up in nearly every dam in Sth East Qld. I suspect some people were to just too lazy to drive 2 hrs to go red clawing so they would liberate a few in there local impoundment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    I don't think that's right Dale, not for Qld.
    Sorry Mike, we had Boating and Fisheries Officers attend a Stocking Group Meeting last year and that is what we were told. It's quite common to find Tilapia fillets in Woolworths, and it is quite legal for them to sell them apparently. If they are investigated, they produce a receipt for them and all is good. Call Boating and Fisheries for clarification.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to