Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling Vagabond (cant believe I am saying that...) and wanting advice on best tinny

Selling Vagabond (cant believe I am saying that...) and wanting advice on best tinny

After lovingly restoring the Vag right down the new Maxwell anchor winch and new trailer and transom I am going to sell her. It has been a long time coming in the sense that I love it, but I am not doing the offshore or overnight trips to justify it. And, these days my 2 boys and I do more lure fishing than bait or trolling...so it is with real regret that I am going to downsize. I am going to look at a tinny at around the 4m mark - easy to handle and probably a 30 or 40hp on the back. I will use it for mostly estury work and quick trips up the Brissy river bassing etc. I will tow it up to Baffle Crk etc. Maybee shoot out to Peel/Mud on a good day, but my days of cruising the bay and shrugging of stiff 25knot driven chop are obviously over.

I am trying to keep things simple - tiller steer is ok. I am looking second hand to keep costs down.

What length, make and model for lure fishing platform for 3? And bearing in mind that when the boys leave home it will just be me, and at times a mate. Also for estury work should I strip out the FCV 620 Furuno or leave it in to sell and go a sidescan for the new boat?

Wow, still cant believe I am posting this, but its just silly having a big boat that is overkill for the fishing we now do!

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Re: Selling Vagabond (cant believe I am saying that...) and wanting advice on best ti

Its a shame you can't keep it in the family after all the time and effort that has been put into it and the boys could take you outside on the odd occasion.

Re: Selling Vagabond (cant believe I am saying that...) and wanting advice on best ti

I agree mate, but I cannot justify having two and it is really too big for the sort of fishing that we have morphed towards over the years. When we were doing overnighters with the kids as little tackers it was perfect, but the boys want to clean up on flathead and bass etc in estuarine and river systems and she is just way to big for that. And I have big boat insurance, rego etc that is a waste really.

Cheers

Hi Oz

Interesting move your contemplating. Especially as given the cost of things these days versus what you may be asking for yours.

Would there be much more than 10K difference between the two items and so one (IMHO) really needs to consider the comfort, safety etc of one cf to what is offered by the other?

There are things like this around so I guess you and yours have the floor!!! http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north...oat/1062971580

Good luck which ever way you go and what you decide.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Hard decision to make mate. Did the same recently although I didn't have the emotional and sweat investment that you do.
    You would be pretty handy with glass etc now. Have you considered building a boat to replace it? Can build one for what you would pay for a second hand production job and it would be a project that the kids could also help with.
    Have a look at the Bowdidge Marine Designs site. You can do a lot of custom work as you build to make it the perfect boat for you.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

You need to get them offshore and into some bigger fish. My lad won't come estuary fishing ever since I had him on the dollies at the waverider. Apparently small fish don't pull hard enough - he's 12. Heaven help me if the brat ever catches something with a bill.

Haha, I was laughing hard reading that mate!

Yes might be something in that.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ozy I don't have time for a project like that but thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers

Thanks Chimo, yes your right with those figures. Cheers

leave the 520 with the big boat mate, I reckon it would be a good selling point, and I agree that you might be better off with a down image sidescan thing whatever brand.

Cheers mate

If it looks like you are going to sell her, I would be looking at polycraft as well as tinnies - bit heavier and a bit more HP required but quieter, better ride and wont corrode. Probably in 4.5 size if you are fishing 3 up most of the time. If you do tin, as rare as they are, a genuine platey would be my preference. Either way, the first time a good wave punches up a wall of spray you will have your head in your hands crying "what have I done". Good luck either way.

Cheers mate. I wont rule out a poly.

Haha...yes the first bit of stiff chop and i might be regretting the decision.

Cheers

Your Seafarer Gold Membership card will be cancelled and I doubt you will ever be allowed back in.