Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Boat Ramp Ettiquette. Important Things

Boat Ramp Ettiquette. Important Things

I know there are many many things that are important to do at boat ramps, so what are the 3 main / important ones you feel should be made compulsory ?

My thoughts would be:-

1...Rigging and de-rigging in designated areas

2.. Correct queuing at pontoons or jettys.

3... Efficient launching and retrieving... quick as possible.

any thoughts ?

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Blog Entries

Re: Boat Ramp Ettiquette. Important Things

I suppose this comes under point 3 Phil but when launching in the dark turn your lights off. Makes it very difficult for a driver to reverse down a ramp with your lights blazing back up the ramp.

4. Don't use public boat ramps if possible
    5. Occasionally join those people who set up their chairs and eskies to watch boat ramp antics in the afternoons.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I also keep an eye out for people leaving the leg down. On one occasion I docked the boat and walked to the car and found one guy had not only left the leg down but had the outboard still running in the rigging area. Suppose the issue with quiet 4 strokes these days.

If your engine doesn't start - take it home and fix it. Dont take up a lane on the ramp or stuff up the flow along the pontoon while you do a full rebuild.

Dont send the missus up to back the trailer down to retrieve if she can't reverse - spend the time to teach her if you are too bloody lasy to get your feet wet. Teach her somewhere else too - not Saturday arvo peak hour.

Do a bit of maintenance on your trailer from time to time so stuff actually works - you know - rollers should actually - roll. Helps heaps with point 3 of LP's post.

Geeze Phil, you may have opened up a big can of worms here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    I know there are many many things that are important to do at boat ramps, so what are the 3 main / important ones you feel should be made compulsory ?

any thoughts ?

LP
    Show some patience.....
    Some people don’t get to practice launch and retrieval all that much and some are completely new to it, the more times you do it the more efficient you become. Whilst I realize very minute can count at the end of the day it isn’t worth getting agro over 5 more minutes.

Lend a hand if needed.....
    I can’t remember how many times I have lent a hand to someone at a boat ramp, be it because they are on their own and struggling with the tide or breeze or be it because they are inexperienced, doing this may save you the 5 extra minutes mentioned above.

And as you have said LP, be as quick as you possibly can.....
    But don't allow yourself or someone else to be put into an unsafe position by doing this if you need to slow down then do so.

All the best for the festive season everyone and try to be as cool, calm and collected as you can at the ramps it will no doubt be busy.

BTW where are the Santa’s?????
    Cheers Axl

In addition to some of the previous comments:

6. Be 'man enough' to ask for help when needed, but more so...

7. Be man enough AND gracious enough to except help when offered! It doesn't matter that the helper 'may' not know as much as you, clear and precise instructions, and sufficient supervision by you can overcome this.

8. When/if you offer help, do it politely and in an informative manner, and don't belittle or be condescending.

9. When you see someone offering help, and explaining why it is better done this way, don't whinge about the extra 3 mins you waited, that 3 mins saved you 5 the next time you are behind/after that person.

Cheers
    Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of the above posts plus any that follow, there might even be a new one in there to teach this old dog a new trick. Merry Christmas all, it looks like someone is looking out for us on the wind front at least for next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post

any thoughts ?

LP

If if you can get the empty heads to do just those 3 things then that would be more than enough for some..Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Practice reversing in a shopping centre car park

Learn to use side mirrors

Recognise when a double ramp is not a single

Move your boat along the pontoon as your turn to retrieve comes up

Relax!

If your friggin around doing stuff on the ramp you shoulda done at home or in the rigging area and I back down within a centimere of your boat leap out and launch don't give me any verbal cause you deserve it.

I think common sense queuing is the most important especially when boats are coming & going at the same time.

It's not hard to stand back & figure out who's coming & going and what stage they're up to then slot in accordingly.

Whenever I strike an idiot who won't play the game I come to a sudden halt, sit back, roll a smoke and watch the temperatures rise.

FWIW I rig in the carpark rather than any 'designated' area in front of the ramp, I consider those areas should be strictly for helping align the boat before reversing down the ramp.

Talking here about a single ramp with a single jetty/wharf/pontoon to keep it apples for apples.

I have many thoughts, but one keeps popping into my head.

If you have a deckie or two, make sure they know exactly how to assist you launch and retrieve. If your deckie is your wife or GF, help and encourage them to participate in this, don't just " do it all yourself ".

An experience I had once when returning to Manly Boat Harbour and with the %$#@#$$ facilities there, I actually radio'd the Coast Guard and asked if they could back my trailer down so I could drive my boat on as my deckie was " incapacitated ". I pulled up to their pontoon, passed over the car keys and they did the rest..... this was because I was returning at peak hour ( which I normally do not do ) and attempting to leave boat near ramp ( no sand or gravel, just concrete wall ) and get my car to retrieve was going to end in tears.

I like the ' Car Park " practice idea ,

I also do not hang around the pontoon when launching & retrieving , I motor around in circles away a bit until my deckies are ready to board or my trailer is in the water ready to accept my boat ( drive on ) .

Patience is what's needed in large quantities and always remember, there is no cure for stupidity.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I guess the most important thing is to be patient, even if the guy in front of you is preparing all his gear and everything else, offer advice, don't yell advice, there is a difference.....and even though the local ramp can be entertaining after a bit of wind comes up, and people are banging into each other and so on, it is not considered a spectator sport, if you wont offer assistance to help the "flow" then (in my mind) having a good laugh is not the way to make friends, or educate people on the do's and dont's of boating!

All good tips. Because I am new to ramps with pontoons, those comments helped too.

Just a question....

In my mind, priority should go to someone retrieving a boat, so those wanting to launch should wait (unless there are free lanes), so this is what I do. Is this correct?