Thread: 4.7m Plate Boat Offshore?

4.7m Plate Boat Offshore?

G’Day,

Planning a few trips offshore in a boat I have recently bought around DI Point and Cape Moreton up to 25nm out chasing reefies. Just wondering if any one else ventures out in small craft and gets amongst the fish!

The boat is a Tabs territory pro, upgraded hull, 90Hp Etec and a 100L fuel tank.

Any advise or experience on wind and swell height for a boat of this class would be great. What conditions do you look for before heading out?

Cheers,
    Fish Wrangler

Re: 4.7m Plate Boat Offshore?

Fished for years outside in a 4.5m Savage with a 40 Rude. Realistically you will want very calm (preferably around 5 knots or less) conditions to make an enjoyable day of it. The boat will handle more - 10-15 knots but it wont be fun The single biggest thing that helped the tinnie was a Stingray foil. This enabled a clean plane at about 8-9 knots and travelling at such slow speeds when it was choppy meant taking a lot less of a beating. Swell height really isn't as much of a consideration apart from crossing bars unless they are really close together. The wind chop will be more of a limiting factor.

Ive had my 4.5 savage out of di once. Out to 19mile. Was a glassy day though. Ive also fish southern and northern gutters launching from hervey bay in it. Just pick ya days and youll be fine.

I had a JBS 4.75 plate cuddy for nearly 10 years, 90 Tohatsu TLDI and 100 litre tank. She was a tough little bugger, and handled offshore conditions better than what many people would think.

It is hard to generalise, though, one boat that size will be safe and predictable, and the next won't feel anywhere near as assured at all. The JBS always felt like it had plenty in reserve.

Plus, as the skipper, you have got to be really comfortable in your boat and your own ability to handle situations that might get thrown at you. That is probably just as big a factor as the boat itself, maybe bigger.

With the 90 TLDI, I averaged about 3.4 km to the litre, so the 100 litres gave me a very good safe working range.

Had her plenty of times offshore from Moreton , Rainbow, launched her off the beach at Fraser one time, and out from the Gold Coast plenty of times, and as others have noted, fairly smooth conditions are best, but you should handle 10-12 knots fairly comfortably.

I also took her out to the Barwons, leaving the ramp at 9pm and overnighting out there.

Again, you want good conditions. We ran into a nasty 18-20 knot SW coming home from out there one time, lasted for about 20kms until we got close enough to land to get some respite from it. We just backed off, took it easy, and got back to the ramp 25 minutes or so later than the 6 meter boats we were with. That was very uncomfortable, but we never felt in danger. As I said, she was a very capable little boat.

But none of that really matters much to you. You won't really know how well that boat (and the skipper) will go until you give it a go.

Pick a good day and get out there. But be prepared and be big enough that if necessary, when you get thru the bar and it is shitty out there instead of nice like the bureau said it would be, to turn around and head back into the Bay. Indeed, more than a few times I got to the bar and said nope, it ain't worh going thru that!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I would recommend doing a few trips to Curtain Artificial with different weather conditions as the northern end of the bay is very exposed and chops up pretty quick. See how your boat handles different wind speeds in the open bay before getting stranded offshore. The weather can be calm in the morning and blow up like crazy in the afternoon and it's a long trip back in a rough see and especially through a bar.
    Swells aren't too bad as long as they are spaced out. SeaBreeze gives a forecast of swell size and frequency.
    I do see a number of smaller boats offshore but the biggest tip would be back yourself, things tend to go wrong when you hesitate.

Bait is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    [
    But be prepared and be big enough that if necessary, when you get thru the bar and it is shitty out there instead of nice like the bureau said it would be, to turn around and head back into the Bay. Indeed, more than a few times I got to the bar and said nope, it ain't worh going thru that!
    Great advice right there. Has happened to me as well more times than enough. Always disappointing but it is better than watching yourself on the news or worse.

I fish offshore regular in my 3.6m rinny with a 30hp Suzi,
    The boat is a custom boat, twin hill at the front & mono at the back.
    Very stable in the sloppy shit, Took a wave over the side the other day on the Seaway bar drifting sideways on the bar, boat barley even rolled at all.

I have 4.1 with a 30hp and go offshore weather permitting. I don't think there is an easy hard and fast rule about boat size and sea worthiness so many factors come into play including skipper experience, boat seaworthiness and weather forecast, However in saying that, most boats of that size should be capable of offshore shore runs provided the skipper knows what they are doing and the weather is right. I always think the most important part of taking a small boat offshore is to be very aware of the weather and changes, If not as predicted turn around or be aware of changes and get out of there early while the weather is good rather than running home at snails pace when it gets messy.
    Cheers Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bayfisher View Post
    I have 4.1 with a 30hp and go offshore weather permitting. I don't think there is an easy hard and fast rule about boat size and sea worthiness so many factors come into play including skipper experience, boat seaworthiness and weather forecast, However in saying that, most boats of that size should be capable of offshore shore runs provided the skipper knows what they are doing and the weather is right. I always think the most important part of taking a small boat offshore is to be very aware of the weather and changes, If not as predicted turn around or be aware of changes and get out of there early while the weather is good rather than running home at snails pace when it gets messy.
    Cheers Chris
    Couldn't agree more
    I've been out in mates big boats & I've ended up taking over the control of the boat when its blown up ugly.
    Some people no matter how big or small a boat they shouldn't go offshore full stop

I have a 475 Trailcraft Profish that i regularly fish offshore Fraser with. It has a 75 4 stroke Mariner. I have had it out over 25 miles due east of the sandy cape when it blew up to about 15 knots which is a bit much for a small boat, once i worked out the trim and speed to not get too wet i got back to the beach with no issues at all. Know what you and your boat can handle and as stated above, know when to turn around and head for calmer waters.

I love fishing offshore in my side console, heaps of deck space for surface casting and deep down the back for fishing the bottom. Also, being able to use the electric to sit on top of bommies and ledges is great!

I have a 435 stessl truck tiller witha 40hp. I fish out of south passage regularly and have done di a couple times. Pick your days u eont have a problem .I wont go further than 20 k straight out. Anything inside that I feel pretty safe. I prefer to have deckie as it does feel a bit eerie that far out by myself.

a good mate of mine has a 4.8m quintrex runabout and has been out to lamont and Fitzroy there is photos on facebook of another bloke heading to the shelf east of sykes in a 4.2m centre console

I think that others have given excellent feedback, I think "offshore" ability largely rests with the captain, rather than the majority of the emphasis put on the boat.

I will say - you have a VERY seaworthy boat. I own the Tabs Territory Pro 5m custom plate, with upgraded hull thickness, longer range tank, and 90HP 4 stroke.

I have taken mine to the 50 fathoms off southport and felt very safe... but I have also been caught in a sudden and non - forecasted severe weather pattern coming home from Tangalooma one day in the middle of the open bay and felt very worried with a messy short chop on 2.5m seas, 30m visability with driving horizontal rain, thick low cloud and hail which made GPS useless and compass was twirling around violently and day was turned to night..

Just some suggestions that I employ on my boat in addition to mandated safety equipment:

- Always carry double fuel needed for intended trip. I am OCD and fill up tank before I go as I dont 100% trust digital fuel management. I always keep 20L jerry can stowed safely on board too for outside trips.

I always radio VMR on way in and out with details and ETA

I have a registered EPIRB and know how to use it, in easy reach in an emergency.

I have two sets of flares with a rocket flare also

Mobile phone reception is often unreliable - a radio is vital - know how to use it.

I also carry a portable hand held GPS in case my in dash unit fails.

First aid kit

8L Fresh water

Space blankets

Single burner portable stove with spare gas cartridges, billy, tea and coffee, UHT milk and cup noodles in case stuck out longer than predicted.

Always be prepared to change plans at last minute for adverse weather...

Never ever go alone.

Just my 2c worth

Best of luck,

Brad.

Good to see you are asking questions, that's the first step!
    i started taking my 489 bow rider (75hp 4 stroke) off shore a couple of years ago. Before I even considered it I played around in the bay for a few years getting experience of the boat in different conditions.
    It goes pretty well out there but I have a rule that the measured swell needs to be 1.2-1.3 or less (for the bar crossing) and wind forecast max 15knots. I have been caught out in 20 and returned through South passage in a measured swell of 1.5m, and it was a bit nervy, but coped well. It could probably cope with worse but you have to try an account for the freak stuff, so stay well within your limits.
    I went out on my own once, but won't do it again. Too many possibilities that can end up the wrong way.
    Good luck!