Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fined for catch and release of QLD groper.

Fined for catch and release of QLD groper.

Based off a pic posted on social media, And fisheries are copping a hammering for it on facebook..

https://www.facebook.com/FisheriesQu...247281/?type=1

Thoughts?
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Re: Fined for catch and release of QLD groper.

what the hell are they fishing for???? massive wire trace...

If they purposely targeted the Groper they broke the law.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Don't see fisheries getting fined for targeting protected large sharks in nets and on drum lines or sea world jumping on turtles and catching dugongs and dolphins in a more harmful way chasing them around with outboard motors till they are in shock,mostly killed actually it's always gonna be one law for them and one law for everyone else.

People need to read the comments before posting it. QLD Fisheries commented and said they investigated it and the fishermen deliberately targeted the Grouper.

And they can prove that how off a photo on the net? They had to land it to remove the hook..
    They are a regulated no take fish so how does releasing it class it as take? I can't find a definition of "possess" or "take" in the 2008 fishing regs or fisheries act 1994 Or even "intentional".. Is there something I'm missing in regards to specifically targeting prohibited fish in there?

The "offenders" are taking it to court so fisheries will have to prove that it was intentionally targeted, that it was a qld groper caught in qld waters, no aboriginal or Torres straight islander was involved and that it was classed as possessed or taken all from a photo off the net using legislation that is so poorly worded in regards to catch and release its not funny.

The the only thing I can find regarding "intentionally" is about taking a cetacean (whales/dolphins) in the environmental protection biodiversity act 1992.

might have done better keeping this one quite. Not sure how they are plan to prove the fish was targeted intentionally or that the intention was to take it, seems to be that it was released witch wouldn't violate the current laws.
    That said i don't know the area or what other legal species are there that would require a heavy rig with wire trace, seems like people are saying the intention was to snag a shark, make of that what you will. Either way it looks like a lot of ill feeling has been stirred up with this one.

There was a video uploaded and since removed that Fisheries said it proved that they targeted this big Groper and that is why they have been fined.
    In the Fisheries Act, the definition of the word TAKE also means Attempt To Catch.
    Removing a regulated fish for the purpose of removing the hook is not illegal providing the fish is returned to the water immediately and unharmed.

This is the definition of “take” as stated in the Fisheries Act 1994
    take fisheries resources includes
    (a) catch, gather, kill or obtain from water or land; and
    (b) attempt to catch, gather, kill or obtain from water or land; and
    (c) land (from a boat or in another way), bring ashore or tranship.
    Cheers
    ray

So how does this apply when targeting crabs which we know 100% catches other no take species on their list such as the females?

Or targeting fish outside of the size, Take and possession limits? (Eg: specifically targeting large female flathead and removing from the water for a pic before release).

or still intentionally targeting a specific species for catch and release once you have caught your bag limit of that species?

Well if im in the seaway with 60lb line and 100 lb trace and a slab of mullet on a 10/0 hook what am i fishing for??? Might just be after a big jew.. then what happens, the local groper takes off with it and i dont know what ive hooked into till its floating beside the boat...so if i unhook him in the water and he sort of swims off thats ok but take him out of the water a quick happy snap and back into the drink, im gonna be fined....have to catch me first..

No Wayne, you forget that they said they investigated and found that the guys had purposely targeted the Groper. That is the difference.
    Dale

Yep, someone is flogging a dead horse and the taxpayer will inevitably pay the bill.
    Investigate=>saw it, read it, and made a decision. The kicker here is they fined both men, that itself is a legal mine field to prove.

Precious money and time could be used elsewhere.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Would you guys be complaining if they caught people share farming crab pots with video evidence?
    Dale

I'm not complaining about him getting done,shit I get done every year over way more trivial shit it's just the double standards if they choose to kill any creature for any reason it's all good if they issue a permit to someone it's all good but if your average joe blow stuffs up he's branded a criminal go figure