Thread: Offshore Bonefish while chasing reds

Offshore Bonefish while chasing reds

Went up reef fishing in SEQ and caught this bloke, he must have been lost. I can tell you he was caught in 30+ m of water floatlining on solid reef( not sand). Not the most sporting gear was used being 50lb braid due to us catching reds, RTE and Jobfish. He went like the clappers and stripped 50m off with a heavy drag in the first run. He weighted 5.9kg and I think is a pretty rare catch especially on the reef.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bonefish 3.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	106505  

Re: Offshore Bonefish while chasing reds

Great sporting bycatch.
    would have been the best catch if caught on fly fishing gear

I caught one off 1770 last January doing a similar thing in about 38 m . Didn't weigh it but was around 1 m long and fought like a much bigger fish. Was great fun even on Reef gear - although not so sporting. Tried to release him but he didn't make it. At first I thought it was a mother of all whiting - but sense finally prevailed.

Cheers

Al

I used to do the Brisbane Sportfishing Club week long camping trip at Wathumba Ck in the first week of the school holidays in December and every year someone would catch one from Sandy Cape Shoals. I think it was Councillor Kim Flesser from BCC who actually got two in a row on pillies one year.

did you let him go.
    "We gave Howard the Arse now we have to fix Rudd"
    "Now we have to sort Gillard" F@?k me RUDD again
    Abbott and Newman what a great next few years "NOT"

Yep He was released

You are correct Smithy, was on a few of those trips myself..

Kim and a few others used to go up there and spend a day or two chasing them each year with quite good success and on light gear!

The good old days

Big Boner !!!

I caught 2 on my Tailor rod off the beach at Waddy Point over 20 years ago.
    Got them on pippy on 16lb mono and they went like freight trains, yet they were only 30cm long..... had me scratching my head !!