Thread: Boat camping in the Whitsundays

Boat camping in the Whitsundays

Hello All,
    I am dreaming up a boat camping holiday to the Whitsundays.
    Has anybody actually done it?
    I plan to take 14' tinny.
    Points;
    How to handle the tidal range, when at anchor? or do I just swim out to the boat?.
    Refueling, are tinnys welcome at the fuel dock on Hamilton I.?
    Food, ice, etc. same re: Hammo.
    Where to leave car and trailer for a week or so?
    Sandflies & mossies?

Any other considerations?

Re: Boat camping in the Whitsundays

Croc,

I did it on a 43ft Perry Cat.

Take a stinger suit and wear it. (depending when your going)

Can you rig on endless loop to keep the boat in deep water and yet be able to haul it to shore when ever required.

We got the feeling the shops on Hammo would take any money any chance they got. The water you may get on Hammo was such that one of the girls with us got dehydrated from just drinking booze as she hated the taste of the water so much!

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

A 14 ft tinny is not really big enough to get out to those outer islands eg Hamilton, Hayman, Hook etc. I have used a tinny up there to go to Long, Sth Mole, Daydream which is quite easy. They camp on Nth Mole. You could also go to Dingo Beach and head out around Gloucester island. Bear in mind the channels between the outer islands are mostly rough with huge currents. I too did all the islands a year ago in a hired Perry 43 even a boat that big we got spun a 360 degree turn due to currents rushing through small spaces.

Hello All,
    I have just come back from Hammo, I was there to compete in the Whitehaven Beach swim.
    Hammo water was a bit chewy but OK.
    Hammo prices are up but not outrageous.
    Outer island passage to W/Haven is manageable by small boat if you time the tide and winds.
    Patience is a virtue, meaning that you would need to wait for favourable winds.
    I asked the ferry captain if the public are welcome to refuel at Hammo and was told sure, no worries.
    It seems that it is possible to find camping/shelter somewhere in almost any winds.
    I have read a lot of stories of successful cruises in trailer sailers.
    I think it is do-able, with plenty of care.

G'day

14' tinny? no worries. A few years ago I camped Whitsunday island in my thundercat and went all over the place, around Whitsunday island, into hammo and up inside hook.

Mid 2015 or there abouts I'll be palanning a trip up there camping in my 15' ope plate boat. Pick your timing and it'll be fine as there's plenty of places to hide.

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

I have taken watercraft twice in my jaunts up there.

I firstly hired a 6m poly longboat and took it out onto Whitehaven, up the top to butterfly? Bay, across to hayman and back down to shute harbour. It was ok, albeit a bit wet through the channel between hamo and Whitehaven. It's doable with some planning.

Second time I towed up two jetskis. The wind blew 30 knots for the week, so we ended up heading north from able point and found some nice, quiet protected bays up north.

Well worth it, and I'd love to take some skis up there again.

Darren

I have camped at Whitsunday Island ( Joes Beach and Scrub-hen Beach ) , also at Manatray Bay on Hook Island.

I personally would not do it in a 14ft tinnie. Having said that, we usually took a 18ft glass boat and a 14ft tinnie. Weather can be hazardous in the small boat.

We fished the tides. That is we let the boat rest on the sand during the low tide, and when the water came back under it, we went fishing for a few hours, then returned.

I found that Hook Island had all supplies we needed. We were pretty self sufficient, though.

Maybe when you get to Airlie Beach call into the " Fish D Vine " restaurant ( The Rum Bar ) and have a chat to Kev Collins ( KC from Ausfish ) and he should be of assistance.

good luck

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here