Thread: 1770 in a tinnie

1770 in a tinnie

Hi all, I am looking to head to 1770 in January and was wondering about good fishing locations that are accessible with my boat.

I have a two-year-old 14.5’ high-sided tinnie with a 40hp tiller steer yammy. For the record I am a very risk adverse boatie (the only way to be) and have all the safety gear including GPS EPIRB etc.

So I am happy to head offshore on a very good day and was wondering if there’s any decent places to chase bigger species in a boat my size?

Or am I pretty well restricted to local estuaries and sandbanks?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Danny

Re: 1770 in a tinnie

I'm very interested to hear what others have to say as I'm in the same boat as you (almost literally) I've got a 4.4m side console with high sides that I regularly take offshore. I have made a few trips to the barwon banks and off shore from DI in mine but I'm keen to have a crack at 1770 if it's not too dangerous. Where are you based?

I've fished up to 50kms offshore from bustard head in my 4.85mtr Seajay tiller..... as has been said before it doesn't get rougher the further you go...its just further to come home when it does.... pick your weather......know your boat and the sky is the limit....

Hi Dazy I am in the Redlands - Wellington Point to be exact.

Thanks for the feedback Snapperbasher.

There are patches of reef about 19 mile out (inner and outer wides) and there are smaller patches closer in if you don't want to go all the way out to the outer reef (30nm) If you look at any decent marine charts you will be able to see the contours and you can go from there. Don't forget the headlands at both 1770 and Bustard. Heaps of long tail Tuna busting up ever where at the moment.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

There are a lot of other people that know 1770 better than I do.

However, weather permitting you can troll just outside the headland. Creek to coast showed they caught a small marlin there a couple of episodes ago. Well worth a watch if you can get it. You can also run up to bustard head, and there are quite a few marks if you head north from 1770. Not to mention fishing the creeks.

Next year on my annual 1770 trip I will make sure one of the boys brings a tinny for the creeks especially if the weather offshore is crap.

Happy to PM you a couple of starter marks if you wish.

Al

I would go to Turkey Beach any day over 1770. If it blows you will sit there doing nothing. Turkey Beach has great sheltered waters and access to Bustard head is better. There is a lot more close reef. I took my 4.8 metre boat up to 1770 and wouldn't bother again. It's a great spot if you have a 6 metre plus boat.

There is also the wreck "Cetacea" only 10kms or so from the bar. Huge GT's, massive Cobia (landed 1.6 meter in 2007) and small mouth nannygai. It's close enough that if the wind gets up it's only a short trip to the bar. The wreck is also marked on navionics charts NE of the bar. 24 03.022S / 151 55.283E
    images-11.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by davo View Post
    I would go to Turkey Beach any day over 1770. If it blows you will sit there doing nothing. Turkey Beach has great sheltered waters and access to Bustard head is better. There is a lot more close reef. I took my 4.8 metre boat up to 1770 and wouldn't bother again. It's a great spot if you have a 6 metre plus boat.
    How many Pubs are there at Turkey beach?

The close to shore areas around 1770 can produce great fish. Trolling the Headland sees Spanish Macks, GT's. Blacks and Tuna caught. Out at the bait grounds ( 3.1k's from the bar ) ..S24 07.656... E151 54.064 ( within a 400 meter radius of this mark ) you will get Livies for trolling, but also the odd Cobia and other Pelagics hang around here.

Bustad Head and in particular the exposed rocks are a favourite haunt of Mackerel Fishos being some 22k's north of the bar S23 58.841.... E151 46.669

The areas leading into Pancake Creek are worth a troll or floating lining for reefies in this area...S24 00.131....E151 44.294

16k's from the bar is the 9 Mile. Look around here to find the structure, weed and fish.... S24 07.491 .....E152 02.737 this area is about 6 - 8 sq kilometers.

Turkey Beach does offer more protection and a variety of areas to fish in this size boat.... from up the back into Worthington Creek, inside Rodds Harbour and even around to Innes head and seven Mile Creek. Then out the front of the Headland to around Ethel Rocks ( S23 58.189...E151 37.454 ), but be careful as just a bit south of there is a Marine Park ( Green Zone ).

For fun you can have a crack at the Ceteca Wreck..... easily found by looking for the other boats.

cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here