Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a under 5.5m half cabin plate boat.

Thinking about a under 5.5m half cabin plate boat.

Have had a look at a stessco 4.8 and Formosa 5.2 , maybe bluefin?
    A fairly broad question I know, looking to do some protected water boating mainly. As you can tell, we are complete novices!!

any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Thinking about a under 5.5m half cabin plate boat.

Maybe have a look at extreme boats too.
    Darren

Hey mate I had a stessco 4.85 with a 60hp yammi on the back, good rig used it offshore fishing and for diving, however I would be looking at a proper plate boat that has welded floors and a minimum for 4mm bottom and make sure it's high tensile marine plate. Majority of the production boats are pressed hulls with carpet over ply wood floors, so kill tanks aren't possible or underfloor storage. Extreme, surtees and barcrusher are well priced for what they are all depends how much your willing to spend. Good luck!!

id have a look at the tabs southern 510

Thanks for the advice guys, of course price is a consideration so we are looking for a second hand one really. Been to a few dealers but they seem (understandably) to try and talk up whatever they have in the yard. They also are quick to talk down some popular brands like Quintrex also - thin and weak?
    there are so many brands, sizes, shapes etc that the choice and range is huge, compared to the motorcycle industry where our current money consuming interests lie right now!
    we'll keep looking around and troll the forum for a while, these forums are where the actual users normally praise or diss the various brands without prejudice so I"m sure a trend will be seen over time.
    I might ask some stupid questions from time to time.....

are you looking at alloy or glass? for the bay a nice little 5m glass boat would also fit the bill

Mike
    Tangles KFC

I would start with something smaller, lighter and cheaper, so when you hit the rocks/sand banks you can push yourself off also being cheap it wont hurt so much when you damage it.

Quote Originally Posted by creat View Post
    I would start with something smaller, lighter and cheaper, so when you hit the rocks/sand banks you can push yourself off also being cheap it wont hurt so much when you damage it.
    Haha, thanks for that creat, and we have seriously thought about that very thing!

Havnt been back on the forum for a week or so, but updates as follows:
    (these are all half cabin / cuddy cabin ally boats)
    looked at 510 Quinny with 115 evinrude e tec, all the gear etc $39000 but no GPS / sounder.

Next up, Formosa classic 520 half cabin, all the gear including 140 suzuki 4 banger, GPS etc $47000 - 4mm sheet. A bit steep?

Next, and we liked the general look of this, a Clark 510 challenger, the "new" 115 mercury 4 stroke, everything except the GPS/ sounder etc - package $37000.
    standard deal is the 90 hp, quack age $35000. We thought the bigger donk would be the go....

For sure, the Clark was a cheaper thing but has some good features and price not bad

Anybody have any inside info on the new merc 4 strokes. Our salesman says are a brand new thing, very lightweight bla bla.

Hey mate, can you let us know where you intend to go boating, what type of boating(fishing, skiing, family) and what your budget is?
    Very hard to give you feedback without some idea of the above...
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

If you're doing research - here's my experience from this year. Hope some of it is food for thought - at the end of the day, anything that gets you on the water is going to be a winner.

I've got a Formosa 520 Tomahawk CC - happy as with it. Very beamy and heaps of freeboard. Easy as to retrieve - have a go at driving on sometimes, but I am hopeless. All good though just beach it on the ramp or gravel and winch without issue. I've only had it a few months - and 'coz of weather and or holidays away, haven't got much use yet. Heaps of room for the family, and the kids prefer walking around the CC than the cramped feel of the cabin.

Earlier in the year I had a Yalta Craft 535 half cabin - good boat, but the worry of retrieving (being glass) put me off. Always needed a helper to catch the boat as I didn't trust driving it on, and doing damage. Sold it due to the concerns of doing damage and needing a deckie all the time. Don't think I'll be going back to glass.

Clark boats were originally on my list (new) and they do present as good value for money - I've only heard good things of the Merc 4 strokes - pretty much of any modern engine... I was concerned that the Formosa had an etec - but it's a low hour modern engine - from what I've been told, they're pretty much all good (as a whole).

I know the half cabs look attractive as family rigs, and I'm sure in many cases they are. But if you're just keen to get on the water, hit Fraser or Moreton, etc. do some fishing in the morning or arvo, then an open boat is easier to handle at ramps, creeks, and anchoring at islands. I'll be chucking a bimini on mine that I can put on/off as needed - we're fair skinned, but will be fine.

I decided to go late model 2nd hand too - the accessories quickly add up to thousands on a new boat where as the 25k and above bracket seem to show big savings on late model boats with the accessories.... ie. my model Formosa would've retailed for about $45k brand new with the extras - I picked it up with 130hrs and a few years later for $28.5k.... price bracket under 20k I'd go new, everyone wants what they paid new.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Hey mate, can you let us know where you intend to go boating, what type of boating(fishing, skiing, family) and what your budget is?
    Very hard to give you feedback without some idea of the above...
    We'll be keeping it up at Tin Can, looking to do some calm water stuff inside Fraser, maybe up to Gary's anchorage and kingfisher and exploring that area. Bit of skiing, tubing etc and try to catch some fish although they will be pretty safe while we are around!!
    would like to take it to Somerset for skiing and probably bring it down to moreton bay to run around with some mates down here time permitting.
    have been looking at new boats lately as most of the second hand ones seem to be mostly old, dodgy looking old school motors or just not what we're looking for.
    So, a bit of everything I guess - were especially keen on a half cabin so we can chuck the baby Q in and stay a night somewhere and ally for the weight and ease of handling. Don't expect to be doing any outside stuff in any hurry unless we can get with a group up there and learn the ropes.
    mostly just the two of us but I'm sure well have up to the max 4-6 at times.

quintex are fine if you use them what they are made for. You are looking for a small size in protected waters. Quintrex would be on the top of my list. Plenty around, good resale, well fitted out, comfortable, dry and good riding in their class (compared to their peers) also light is good if you are trailering and boating in smooth waters. A plate boat in that size range still rides like shxt in the rough anyway.

I wouldn't rule out second hand near new boats. They have already spent the money on the "extra's" that make the price of a new boat edge out of your budget.
    Check this one out.
    http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...=0&pss=Premium
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

We actually had a look at that boat on the weekend. Not a bad thing but sold already.
    also, quite pricey for second hand but the Formosa is an expensive brand. Solid but your paying for it!

did you get my PM?