Thread: Rod for 4500 bait runner

Rod for 4500 bait runner

All,

Wondering if anyone has some good suggestions as to which rod would match my 4500 bait runner.

The main use would be float line fishing around 29's / 33's from moreton, and in the bay around the beacons etc. I run 30 - 50lb braid at the moment, and currently use a 5-8kg ugly stick, which is buggered now.

I found that I was losing pretty much all the good sized fish due to bust off's. Now this might be lack of experience out there (newish to offshore) but I lost a bit of confidence in the rod because of it. Why not the line / knots I hear you ask? Well I get good fish in the bay on 6-8lb rigging up the same way so fairly happy with that.

Was as thinking along the lines of a 6-8kg live fibre or similar. Probably around 7' and good sensitivity with reasonable power too. Looking on it as a long term investment so can go upto the $300-400 mark if an option was worth it.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers

Re: Rod for 4500 bait runner

what reel is it ? you are drawing a long bow to compare knot strength between 6lb and 50lb .....main reason for bust offs is knots pushing to hard....but if you have a cheepy reel maybe the drag cant keep up ...my fave setup is a penn slammer bait runner on a 6'6 ugly stick 6 to 10kg with 50lb braid ....not much you cant catch with that setup ...

Unless you have a cracked guide, it's a bit hard to put the blame on the rod for breaking fish off.

Sorry it's a shimano 4500b. Have a spool of 35lb and 50lb.

Right about scaling knots, but I use Bimini Twist doubles and a knot which looks like the Geoff Wilson 'tom jones leader knot' to 60lb leader which has been good. Seem to lose everything either mid leader or above the double. Was wondering whether the rod, or I, was not softening the head shakes enough given I'm using braid. Would have thought the knot at the hook would go first?

Good idea to check the eyes though, one is twisted so could be split, which is why I'm looking for a new one. Could be that weakening the line.

What sort of fish are you targeting with doubles and 50lb line?, of you are breaking 50 then there is something seriously wrong.

Just the usual reef fish on dead bait. I use that set up out of habit really, is strong and knots are not too chunky.

Was using 35lb but got done three times so went up to 50lb and same happened. I don't over tighten drag either.

To be honest it has me stumped a bit and all I can think of is pressure given it is braid.

To break 50lb braid (or mono) takes some effort, especially with the amount of drag a bait runner is capable of, I think something is wrong.

Sounds like ya braid is rotten. Takes a bloody lot of pressure to bust 50lb