Thread: ET Braid

ET Braid

Anaconda has ET braid on sale for 1/2 price from tomorrow. 150 yards for $12.49 seems like a bargain. The packaging states that it is made in USA. Has anyone used it?

Cheers.

Re: ET Braid

Hey mate thanks for the post and heads up on the special.

I went and had a look today and was a little disappointed by the quality actually.

I'm in the market of buying about 250 - 300 m (or 300yd) braid backing (probably 40 lb) for my LBG spinning set up. It will then have a ~200m 40 lb 0.55mm mono topshot.

After looking at it in comparisons to the Power Pro and Fins, I found it a little larger in diameter, stiffer and not as smooth.

Even for the 1/2 price special at $25 for 300yds I decided to stay clear of it (I certainly wouldn't buy it at full price), to the point where I nearly purchased the Power Pro at $70 instead.

I also had a look at their mono range finding it too to be poor quality. I noticed the diameters of their stated monos to be higher than the norm for the desired breaking strains. Generally this is harder to judge between braids as they vary significantly, however I think this is usually a very good indication of quality between mono lines.

By all means if you're going for a cheaper set up go for it, but for me I'm going to stick by the Power Pro, Fins, Tasline and other reputable brands.

Cheers!

I have used their fluorocarbon and found it to be quite good.

I had another look today (I wasn't as rushed), and it wasn't too bad for the price. If you're on a budget by all means go for it, just keep in mind it's no Power Pro.

I also had a brief look at the fluoro and it too didn't look too bad, actually good for the price. The stated diameter was similar to my Yamatoyo.

On another note regarding budget braids that are actually quite good, I'm quite a fan of the Jarvis Walker Hercules range. The weave is good and it's nice and smooth. Secondly "Paulus" has tested the range and it's very strong vs. it's diamater - it's right up there actually.

Thanks mate. I appreciate your feedback. I didn't end up going with the ET Braid but will now have a look at the Jarvis Walker Hercules. I usually use Berkley Fireline Exceed in the lower breaking strains (6-8lb) for my smaller reels and Tufline XP in 20lb. I have also used 15lb Power Pro which seems to be OK. I was looking to spool a Shimano 6000 size reel with braid (I've only used Mono so far) for surf fishing and didn't want to spend too much as I suspect the sand will eventually fluff up the braid for this application.

Cheers