Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Arti for the Harry Aitkenson.

Exclamation New Arti for the Harry Aitkenson.

Mark Robinson MP
    Member for Cleveland
    30 October 2014

New addition to Moreton Bay Artificial Reef

Queensland’s recreational fishers are set to benefit from a new addition to the Harry Atkinson Reef, when the Newman Government scuttles a decommissioned boat next week.
    The Queensland Government has already established six artificial reefs in Moreton Bay Marine Park, at a cost of $2.25 million.
    The motor-less, 60 tonne, 26 metre delivery boat, donated by Port of Brisbane has been degreased and steam cleaned by a professional contractor, and has also had additional materials added to provide extra shelter for fish.
    It will be scuttled next week and form part of the 34 ha Harry Atkinson Artificial Reef, located 7 km east-south-east of St Helena Island.
    “This artificial reef was first established in 1975 when more than 17,000 old car tyres were deployed at the site over a five year period. In 1987, 200 shopping trolleys were also placed at the site and some of this material is still present,” Dr Robinson said.
    “The LNP Government is delivering on sustainable recreational fishing by taking pressure off existing natural reefs, creating more reefs in the Bay and helping replenish our fish stocks,”
    Dr Robinson said the addition to the artificial reef was good for the marine environment and creates new reef ecosystems to help support the broader marine life in Moreton Bay.
    “The LNP is providing a better fishing experience for mum & dad anglers in an environmentally responsible way,” Dr Robinson said.
    Minister for National Parks Steve Dickson said “It is wonderful that we’ve been able to recycle this item, to help attract and sustain fish and create more opportunities for recreational fishers and boost fishing-related tourism in the region.”
    “There’s hundreds of thousands of recreational fishers across the state and we are excited to give them this new opportunity, and provide an economic boost to the area.”
    ENDS
    Media Contact: Mark Neville 3286 2726

Kind regards

Mark Neville
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: New Arti for the Harry Aitkenson.

I have no idea. I sit on the arti reef working group, or at least I thought I did ????? At the last meeting I was told that the LNP will NOT utilise materials of opportunity for deployment as arti's in Marine Parks. Now they are dropping a ship in one... ? What is going on ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    I have no idea. I sit on the arti reef working group, or at least I thought I did ????? At the last meeting I was told that the LNP will NOT utilise materials of opportunity for deployment as arti's in Marine Parks. Now they are dropping a ship in one... ? What is going on ?
    The cynic in me would say an election is what's going on Phill.
    But never look a gift horse in the mouth I recon, the more arties the better.
    What do you think about this one Phill? I don't fish Harry's myself but I hear it gets pretty crowded, wouldn't starting up new separate reefs be more beneficial to more anglers (and fish) than building onto existing ones? Keen to hear a few opinions on that.

Why aren't they putting it somewhere new?
    Surely they have a number of suitable new sites in the pipeline or is it too much red tape?
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Mike,

The process for these reefs has nutted out some time ago and in particular after the last deployment of a ship at Harry's, the Tiwi Pearl. The LNP ( machine ) decided that it was too awkward to deploy shipwrecks as the greenies seen it as " dumping rubbish ", which to the uneducated it could look that way. Thing is the ALP deployed the Tiwi Pearl so in light of recent LNP undertakings.... " if it's good enough for the ALP to have done this, then they can't whinge when we do it "....

I have had feedback that this is simply vote buying, if you will. Proping up the bayside electorates in readiness for an election next year. I suppose some things never change.

To get back to the deployment, ships, although donated, cost a motza to clean and deploy. A better and more economical way is to manufacture arti's to target specific substrates / water depths and indeed habitats. This was undertaken by the QPWS some time ago and is the blueprint for all Qld artificial reefs............. apparently

Due to many restrictions within Moreton Bay as it is a Marine Park, you cannot just build a arti reef anywhere... so in the uneducated publics eye, dropping a ship on the existing arti is a win... for who, I am not sure. Certainly artificial reefs are designed for a number reasons and one being to disperse fishing pressures from specific areas.

In my opinion and from my experience, this deployment is a publicity stunt. No doubt it will attract marine life and enhance the existing reef, but really ???

Triple............ yes, I would suggest red tape is an issue right now. In Moreton Bay along with it being a Marine Park so the red tape is very very long, there are other restrictions.... shipping channels, water depth, substrate ( which involves the type of substrate, siltation issues, existing sea grasses, existing reefs etc etc ) and many more. The process involves quite a number of Government departments as well as stakeholder input, and to that end we have the Conservation reps at the table..... not having a crack at them, but in my experience they are not well versed in all things marine in respect of habitat, the fishery and associated items to make an informed judgement on the placement, construction and need for artificial reefs. Their input is welcome, none the less.

For what it is worth, I do believe materials of opportunity should be utilized in the building of artificial reefs, but a ship is a poor economic stratergy as it covers bugga all ground, where as dedicated manufactured artis can be deployed over a wider area enabling more fishers, fish and mairne life to exist and to that end, it is also self generating... meaning the link between targeted placements can form an ' interconnecting " line / passage / highway if you like, between these reefs.

I hope to hear back from some people I have contacted about this in regard to .......... WHY ?

cheers LP
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 31-10-2014 at 08:57 AM.

Some artificials on the northside would be good. I know Scarborough is on the drawing board but that is one compared to how many on the southside. You want to buy some votes Campbell put some more on the northside ( remember us, the poor cousins of the southside)

If I was the incumbent Gov, I'd be looking to spend the majority of available funds targeting land based and small tinny anglers. Wouldn't be as popular with most Ausfish members but politically more savy IMO.

Is Newman going down with the ship?

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

Without letting out to much info this barge, not a ship in the traditional sense, was to be cut up for scrap. But it was offered up as a donation to be utilised, if accepted and was, as part of the Harry Atkinson artificial. It will provide an abundance of shelter for all types of species so will be an invaluable addition to this system. A lot of the original material has either corroded away or silted over and needs to be replenished over time. Looking forward to the future fishing opportunities. Jim.

PS. The SD 10 was a side delivery barge built in the early 60's and had a load capacity of 60 tons. She was used locally to develop the Brisbane River berth facilities and was used up and down the QLD coast from Cairns to the Gold Coast. She was paired up with the Tridacna, a bucket dredge, and was used extensively to develop the Port of Brisbane. She was retired from service in 1996 and became a landing platform for The port of Brisbane operational vessels until she finally gave up late in 2013.
    So now she will be starting a new chapter in her life.
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

when is this going to happen, does any one have a date yet

Yes, the reef ( barge ) will be deployed tomorrow ( Wednesday 5th ).

LP

Quote Originally Posted by Still_Dreamin View Post
    Some artificials on the northside would be good. I know Scarborough is on the drawing board but that is one compared to how many on the southside. You want to buy some votes Campbell put some more on the northside ( remember us, the poor cousins of the southside)

There are already 2 on the northside so to speak. The new Wild banks and Nth Moreton ones . You also have Tangaloma wrecks and Curtin Artifical. There are also many wrecks in the bay that can be found by searching the right websites.

The Scarborough Reef arti will be deployed by June 2015.

cheers LP

There are already 2 on the northside so to speak. The new Wild banks and Nth Moreton ones . You also have Tangaloma wrecks and Curtin Artifical. There are also many wrecks in the bay that can be found by searching the right websites.

cheers LP
    I think that's one of the probs faced by Brisbane's northside anglers, the Scarborough arti will be the 1st nth side arti accessible to more than maybe 5% of those hundreds of thousands of Qld anglers so often mentioned in Government press releases.

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

SD 10 Scuttled.jpegAnd down she went with a gurgle and a few hisses in 10min 41secs. You'll find her here on her back 27 24 456s 153 18 465e and another 27 24 445s 153 18 458e.
    She lies in a NW-SE orientation. There will be fish there taking cover in no time. Enjoy. Jim.
    Last edited by bigjimg; 05-11-2014 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Mark Adjustment and sausage fingers
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

cheers LP
    Any idea what form/how big the Scarborough arti will be, Phil? Thanks.

Cuzza