Thread: Alvey 700 or 650

Post Alvey 700 or 650

Hi all,

I have a Gary Howard Surf Classic - Heavy that I am planning on using to chase Jew in the surf. I am going to rebuild the rod to get rid of the old-school wire stripper and have a play with guide spacings e.t.c.

I am going to use either a 650 or 700 alvey drag reel but am unsure which will cast the best, I'm not sure if the 7 inch spool would be TOO big and choke up the stripper. Weight isn't a huge issue for me ps, I don't mind this rig being hefty.

Of course I can't test cast a 650 or 700 until I actually buy one! Can anyone with some experience fill me in here?

As always, any advice is always appreciated.

Re: Alvey 700 or 650

Why don't you go to the Alvey web site and ask them?

Personally, I'd go for the 700, bigger spool and more line capacity. should also be better for casting heavier line.

There's only half an inch difference in the diameter of the both of them (12.7mm if you want to get picky), so it mightn't make too much difference, but it probably depends where you put the first guide. Too heavy now for me in my advanced age and advanced back.

As Luc says, why not run it past the Alvey people? Bruce Alvey is always happy to help out with queries.

TOL

Thanks for the replies guys,

Luc, I agree it 'Should' be, but that doesn't always mean it is and though it was worth checking! Great idea on contacting Alvey. Will do!

TOL - I know it's not much of a difference and it's also mitigated by the fact the guide spacings will be set to the reel I end up with, but as my old coach used to say, to be twice as good, you need to get 1% better 70 times.

Just an update for anyone looking for the same info. Alvey do not recommend a 700 size reel for rods under 14ft, apparently it's very difficult to get the guide spacing right to avoid line slap on any rod under that size. I'll be going with a 650 for this setup