Thread: Spiral Layout Question

Spiral Layout Question

G'day everyone. Just about to build a 6 foot bottom basher, going the spiral again as I recon its a great way to add stability and "comfort" to a 10kg class rod that normally has the line headed straight down under a bit of load from a fair hunk of lead.

Here's the questions

1. on the few spirals I have built to date I have made the top to bottom changeover with 2 transition guides, using smaller guides than normal in this butt section so as to keep the line as close as possible to the blank. I see that some build their spirals with a single transition guide at right angles and make the jump in one go. Is there any theory about the 2 different ways and why one may be better than the other?

2. Also is it normal to move to a wider guide spacing, spin rod type spacing in the top section once you have got underneath (this is what I have done in the past)?

Scott

Re: Spiral Layout Question

I use the Bumper method which is a single guide for transition ..The idea of the single transition guide is to get the line under the blank as quik as possible ..thus your loading more of the blank rather than spiralling it down the blank with 2 or 3 transition guides and ya 2/3 the way down the blank before your loading it from under the blank
    I also reckin it creates less side toqure as well with the bumper method...... With a 10- 15 kg blank I run a size 16 stripper with the rest size 10
    when I static test the rod under load I start off with the transition guide at right angle to blank but the slowly adjust it down till the line just misses touching blank
    Guide place is personal preference ..just use small zip ties to fix guide on and move around till you are happy with all the guide angles ....when its done right there are no server angles on any of the guides under load
    I have tried both methods and for me its the Bumper Method (single Transition guide)
    On a 7ft rod I use around the 170 to 180 distance between the Stripper guide ..the 90 degree guide and the next guide under the blank...I have experiment a bit with these didtances and most seem to average out around the 175..once again there 10 -15 kg 7ft high end graphite Blanks I use for these measurement ..all blanks different
    The actual job of the single transition guides is just to stop the line from touching the blank under load

Thanks Willo, was actually going to send you a pm as I knew you were a spiral fan. What you say makes sense re getting it under the blank fast and I guess maybe even more important for a shorter 6 foot blank that on the slow side of fastish a action blank (calstar 600m). I'll give your method a go for this one I recon.

Scott

ya wont be disappointed ..spirals makes overhead reel fishing a lot easier on the body ...pm us if ya have any questions while ya building the rod
    Built a spiral on a Calstar 700m for fishing reds and trout up north and the guy loves it