Thread: Battery Maintenance

Battery Maintenance

I have a 55 Minn Kota I-pilot powered by a 118 ah Trojan deep cycle battery which I charge with a 10 amp Minn Kota charger. I always charge the battery up the night before I go out fishing the next day and always charge it on my return, I try to go fishing one to two times a month . Is the way I maintain my battery adequate to ensure a long life with maximum output or is it best for the battery to leave it on trickle charge constantly between trips, I am unsure which is the best method for the battery? Also would the Minn Kota charger be alright to leave on constantly if this is the best method?

Re: Battery Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by Stik-ugly View Post
    I have a 55 Minn Kota I-pilot powered by a 118 ah Trojan deep cycle battery which I charge with a 10 amp Minn Kota charger. I always charge the battery up the night before I go out fishing the next day and always charge it on my return, I try to go fishing one to two times a month . Is the way I maintain my battery adequate to ensure a long life with maximum output or is it best for the battery to leave it on trickle charge constantly between trips, I am unsure which is the best method for the battery? Also would the Minn Kota charger be alright to leave on constantly if this is the best method?

Quality deep cycle AGM's, don't really discharge if left alone for up to a year. Better to trickle charge your bat's. That's what I do with my 105AH Full river deep cycle AGM and use a CTEK charger.

Re: Battery Maintenance

Best to use a 8 stage charger (such as a ctek) and just leave it to 'float'