Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes a good portable air compressor

What makes a good portable air compressor

Hi All,

Just back from a great week on Fraser, and have a list of things needed before the next trip...

One of them is a portable air compressor that will inflate the tyres. I'd prefer not to spend the $270 odd at BCF etc, there are quite a few on eBay, but what makes a good compressor?

MAX psi? L/Min?

Thanks in advance

Re: What makes a good portable air compressor

Quote Originally Posted by TroyVIS View Post
    Hi All,

Just back from a great week on Fraser, and have a list of things needed before the next trip...

One of them is a portable air compressor that will inflate the tyres. I'd prefer not to spend the $270 odd at BCF etc, there are quite a few on eBay, but what makes a good compressor?

MAX psi? L/Min?

Thanks in advance

Check out ARB portable compressor in like a tackle box, very happy with mine. It inflates tyres a lot quicker than I thought.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412822253.508528.jpg

Depends on how much you plan to use it. I have the opposite lock compressor and mounted it permanently on the firewall. Running a small 6L tank under the chassis. A nitto connection front and rear.

Works perfectly everything. Hit the switch in the cab prior to pulling up for the inflatation session. By the time I pump up my first 32" muddie from 20psi to 30 the compressor kicks back in. Then I move onto the next one and it sometimes has switched off at 135psi again.

So inflations are a quick process for me. And I can reach the trailer tyres if I need to from the back nitto.

No popping bonnets to clip on the compressor. No hot compressors to pack up or find under a pile of Gear in the back.

Did cost j300 from memory 2 years ago. Still going strong.

Damo's dodgy boat building factory.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

Super cheap were selling some for $89, have one and its been real good.
    Life is short fish hard!!!
    21,6 Sea Fox WA Pro ....

Thanks Dogtooth, that does look good but trying to keep the cost down.
    Rip it up, that looks like the answer nice and easy and sounds like it works well. Did you do it yourself?

Thanks Meg-A-Bite, I had seen those good to know it works! That's more my price range..

I got one from fleabay, it was similar price to the supa cheap one but twice the capacity. Twin cylinder version. I suspect that all of these larger ones come out of the same couple of factories in China, naturally. I saw one almost identical in Auto-barn for about $160.

I dont use use mine a hell of a lot, but it does the job, nice and quick to inflate tyres. Where the coiled air hose connects, they get very hot. I had to cut and reattach the air hose to the connector because it got bent and touched the metal and half-melted but it's good now.

For the occasional weekend warriors it's fine, if you are a serious off-roader you'd be better spending more to get a good brand one.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

What makes a good portable air compressor

Troy yes all custom built. A pressure switch and 40A relay is needed for the wiring. Most of the cheapie's fail because of small gauge, long run wiring cables. They draw more amps than you think.
    If you can upgrade for heavier cable from the connection on the motor you will see more life.

And check they are not sucking up dust through the crappy air filter.

Damo's dodgy boat building factory.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

Awesome thanks again guys, good advise as usual.

Cheers
    Troy

Look for a continuous rated compressor at a given ambient temperature . Have had a blue tongue from opposite lock for 12 years- continuous rated at 40 degrees ambient from memory - has never missed a beat and I've never touched it service wise - keep meaning to but never get around to it and it's still firing fine. Done plenty of work on several mapoon trips pumping one or more fourby's tyres up at trip's end. The twin tongue would be quicker but happy with mine as it is.

I got a "bushranger" brand one. It was middle range in price, cheaper than ARB but dearer then the Flebay ones. Its never let me down, also gets used on the farm and for bikes etc so gets plenty of use.

I have a Bushranger - had it for 12 years and it hasnt missed a beat. A mate bought an awesome one recently for $119 delivered - twice the size and twice as heavy as mine and goes about twice as hard. I will find out the name.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Sounds good thanks Ozscott. Still looking for a christmas present - To Me ... From Me!

I use a Thumper compressor from 4wd Supercentre about $129 12 months ago. It won the 4wd Action best pump from memory when the others overheated it still slept going and pumped up 4 tyres faster than any of the more well known expensive brands.
    Used it heaps this year coming back from Fraser and DI and never let me down yet. However the plastic hose does get hot so I might change it soon.
    Waz

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BBT-12V-4...item3a78268cc4

You'll notice this model had rubber on the connectors so you dont burn your hands when your done. $99 with free delivery.

Yes per Wazza thumper in the one.

http://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/4wd-...upacentre.html

$119 current and delivered to my mate in about 2 days

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing