Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Moejoes, the weather man!!

Moejoes, the weather man!!

On the way home from a few days with the family at rainbow beach on Saturday i popped into moejoes to say gidday. The big fella was looking pretty bored and just as we went to leave his house he hinted a late afternoon dash up to 1770 was on the cards. Robs a bit of a weather guru (Like f#*%) and called it for perfect conditions.I was dubious and hesitant after my last 3 trips this year all resulting in 20knot sessions that i don't particularly care for so i approached with caution only to be fooled again.. Anyway the misses was happy for me to go so we rang a few of the fellas and no one was prepared to go at the drop of a hat with the possibility of missing work on Tuesday so it was just us and off we went.

We arrived at 1770 around 9.30pm Saturday night and while fuelling up we met a few guys who had just returned from an overnighter and had bagged on both reds and trout. This definitely got the blood pumping so with the fish on the chew we went and had a sleep for a few hrs and hit the water at 5am on Sunday morning. Unfortunatley Robs weather predictions were shit house (as predicted) so instead of venturing north of sykes reef to chase reds we opted for the shallows and an easy days fishing for trout around lamont reef. It was a long day with the fish chewing but unfortunately for every decent fish there was 2 or 3 vermin caught. When i say vermin i mean Chinamen to 20kg's, cod to 10kgs, sharks to 8ft, GT's to 15kg, Spaniards and everything under the sun. We caught 11 trout to 5kg and 2 reds around the 6.5kg mark all from lamont reef. As the wind dropped out latter that afternoon we headed around lamont to chase a few reds but after battling vermin all day and pretty rooted from the night before we just opted for an early session in the lagoon around dusk. We only had 3 trout and 8 reds to bag so we were relatively confident if the weather stayed the same as that late afternoon we could head north mid morning and have a decent crack a few fish.

On the Monday morning we hit the water at 5am and decided to head north east of fitzroy and hit the 100mtr mark and chase some pearlies and rosies with electric reels first up. Our plan to venture north soon turned to shit after the weather quickly turned once again from ordinary to shit and after boating a few pearlies to 4.8kg, a couple of rosies, a few red throats, 4 parrot and a squire we decided to pull the pin and broach our way home. We would of released the red throat, parrot and squire but after being hauled up for 100+ mtrs with an electric reel i seriously doubted their survival on return to the water. so better in our bellies than a sharks.

I got to say Moejoes boat was a little disappointing in the following sea on the rear quarter (sorry Bobby...It scared me) but when it came to a decent head sea she absolutely ate it up. The last 50k ride home was one of the best I've had in those conditions in any boat...even a cat. Mate get some advice from some of the guys on this forum on the broaching and see what steps you can do to rectify. Im sure its an easy fix and something worth looking into for a bloke of your capabilities. If she went as good in a following sea as she does in a head sea...Wow that would be a weapon and I could go fishing with you and not be scared.lol

Most importantly cheers once again Rob. Your a champion and I thoroughly enjoyed the trip especially Sunday fishing lamont. we've hardly fished this year and when we have the weathers been ordinary. Next trip mate we will fish 5knots.

Fish caught

11 trout
    2 reds
    5 pearlies
    at least a dozen parrot
    2000 hussar & stripies
    to many chinamen to count
    1 GT
    1 spaniard
    3 AJ
    ??Sharks
    God knows what else...all i know is I could hardly lift my arms after the Sunday lamont session.

With the exception on the fish caught on the electric reels all other fish (the majority) were caught on a Mark Alderstoen "Bring it on" and 50lb pinkbionic braid. We used 15kg's of pilchards between the two of us on ganged 8/0 big gun hooks with swivels between them and a running ball 5 sinker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1708.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	105763

Re: Moejoes, the weather man!!

That's a nice lot of fish Keith, well done mate

Ya missing something boys-HUSSAR!!

LOL

Beaker

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Ya missing something boys-HUSSAR!!

LOL

Beaker
    Had a smile when I read your post Tony. All I seen was a big target painted so I think i'll wait and see what comes back because I bet its coming

What breed of boat is it?

Nice feed there banana just the same mate.

Can't wait to get back up there.

You love it Keith!!!!
    Keeps the hairs standing up on your chest LOL.
    Like every boat, they all have there pro's & con's.

Hi Smithy, It's a 8mtr Ocean Prowler that I built myself with twin 175 suzi's.
    I was thinking of running some 50 x 25mm angled chimes down the bow to maybe give it some more lift, but the down side could be the she'll bang like all hell.
    Maybe some hydrofields on the legs as Keith suggested.
    I did put trim tabs on as Keith also suggested but that turned out to be a waste of a $1000 bucks - Thanks Keith you're a champion!!!!
    From what I'm hearing most big plate boats broach for some reason.
    I'm open to all comments.

Moejoes,
    How would you say your weight distribution is? Any chance of sending more weight down the back - it rectified a platey I used to know.
    Brett

He's a hard man to please Rob,maybe you should get some pods lowered on the back lol. Ive got your back brother us platey owners have to stick together.lol
    In all seriousness though it does seem hard to get a complete all round package when it comes to a boats handling.
    The cruise craft was absolutly amazing in a following sea but a pig in a head sea.
    I think i could put up with a little broaching as getting smashed in a head sea isn't fun.

Good to see a decent offshore report on here again Keith.
    Cheers Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by hookinin View Post
    Had a smile when I read your post Tony. All I seen was a big target painted so I think i'll wait and see what comes back because I bet its coming
    Give it ya best shot ya girls!!

Quote Originally Posted by bugman View Post
    Moejoes,
    How would you say your weight distribution is? Any chance of sending more weight down the back - it rectified a platey I used to know.
    Brett
    My Yalta is the same. Any weight up in the nose and she'll tend to broach. Putting most the weight like eskies and fuel drums in the rear fixed the issue.

Great report Keith, got to be happy with a few good fish there, what depth of water did you get the GT and Spanish in ?
    Life is short fish hard!!!
    21,6 Sea Fox WA Pro ....

Quote Originally Posted by MEG-A-BITE View Post
    Great report Keith, got to be happy with a few good fish there, what depth of water did you get the GT and Spanish in ?
    Mate Rob caught the spanish just drifting over the main reef at Lamont. Usually if we fish there long enough we get one or two. They're usually caught when we are fishing light with 4 or 5 ball sinkers using pillies chasing trout. This is the main way we fish and thats probably why we seem to get a few. 23 36 434 - 152 00 637 15-30mtrs

The GT was on the way back in on Monday. The current was pushing up against the Fitzroy reef edge with the run out tide and there seemed to be a few on the sounder. We didn't fish long because we ran out of pillies and just headed back in. The worst part of fishing here is there always seems to be heaps of spangled emperor (we caught a few before pulling the pin) and they're too much effort for us fat boys. 23 38 632 - 152 07 372 drifting 20-30mtrs

The reds and most of the chinamen and a couple of the bigger trout were in about 25mts. You could basically sit here all day if you wanted and catch a good feed if you have the energy to get past the chinamen. Its a good place to fish to get a few chinamen for bait before heading up north chasing reds 23 36 130 - 152 01 445 20-25mtrs drifting in-between the bommies.

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Give it ya best shot ya girls!!

Mate those young kids you pass on the pier when putting your boat on the trailer (after belting your self for 200-300k's chasing hussar) must just sit there and piss themselves laughing each and every time. They invest $20 at bigW and catch bream at Noosa bigger than your snapper and only ride their bike 200mtrs to the ramp.

Well done!

You've invested over 300k to target Hussar.....Gav it's about time you take the wheel back of Juna and steer Tony in the right direction. When he fished with me last year he got his own bag of reds and trout so obviously the guy can fish. The only conclusion i come to is when he goes with Juna she takes his balls of him at the ramp and doesn't hand them back until they get home.

Heres some tips for you Tony....

1. Keep your balls out of Junas hands.
    2. delete every GPS Coordinate out of your plotter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    3. Stop using hooks smaller than 7/0 (thats right 3/0 & 4/0's)
    4. Only fish barren patches away from contours on your GPS
    5. look at your sounder 24/7
    6. Change your avatar because your funny to look at and we all need the laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by outwide1 View Post
    He's a hard man to please Rob,maybe you should get some pods lowered on the back lol. Ive got your back brother us platey owners have to stick together.lol
    In all seriousness though it does seem hard to get a complete all round package when it comes to a boats handling.
    The cruise craft was absolutly amazing in a following sea but a pig in a head sea.
    I think i could put up with a little broaching as getting smashed in a head sea isn't fun.

Good to see a decent offshore report on here again Keith.
    Cheers Mick.

Cheers Mick,

Mate does your rig have the same entry as Rob's? can you post up a couple of pics? Im just interested in seeing if theres any obvious inclusions on your boat that maybe Moejoes doesn't have.