Thread: Qunitrex Explorer Trophy

Qunitrex Explorer Trophy

Hey, how is everyone? First post here!

Looking at getting a new quintrex explorer trophy 4.2 with a 30hp motor. Does anyone have any feedback on this tinnie? As I will be fishing the tidal creeks and estuaries around central qld, including the Fitzroy, my main concern is how safe a boat like this would be in waters where you would find salt water crocs. They aren't the deepest tinnie around, so I'm just a bit concerned about the lack of freeboard, especially when using the casting deck. Obviously common sense comes into play with any size tinnie in these waters. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this...

Cheers!

Re: Qunitrex Explorer Trophy

While you notice the lower sides, you don't notice how high in the water the hull sits. The 420 is a big lump of a boat and extremely stable. A 40hp motor may be a better choice.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    While you notice the lower sides, you don't notice how high in the water the hull sits. The 420 is a big lump of a boat and extremely stable. A 40hp motor may be a better choice.
    Thanks mate, decided on the 30hp since i won't be carrying much weight...

I have a 3.95 Quintrex Explorer Trophy and they are a very stable hull. Would not see a problem with depth of hull. But a 30hp just wont hack the weight of the hull. Definitely go the biggest HP you can for the hull size.
    Have had mine since 2008 and would highly recommend. Actually prefer them for casting over a Hornet. More stable with two up front when casting and retrieving fish.
    Trev
    Last edited by mylestom; 30-09-2014 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Add
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Central QLD- you'll be lucky to see a croc. Not a concern I would worry about in selecting a boat.

Blog Entries

Ditto to what everyone said have owned 435 hornet & 420 explorer trophy both had 40 4stroke Yammy preferred the explorer very good little boat I would rethink the 30 hp be ok on your own and lightly loaded just my opinion though Cheers Rod

They are a good boat but have you thought about a plate ally hull as oppossed to the pressed.
    I would go up to the 40hp for a small fee
    Time to do some Fishin & less workin.

Thanks for the advice... Will go the 40hp tiller on a 4.2 explorer trophy :-)

Excellent choice.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Price up one of these mate

you may be very surprised

http://www.stessco.com.au/catalogue/...-tracker-rv430
    Cheers

Steven

i just went down this path of deciding what to buy

i ended up getting a 420 renegade, more of a all rounder creaks rivers dams bays and out to the reefs on good days
    its a lot cheaper too and imo a more versatile boat

I agree that your decision to go to the 40 , I have just fitted (25hrs) 40 hp. tiller steer 2 stroke Yamaha to my 4.4mtr Sea Jay Territory, goes like a dream . Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post
    Central QLD- you'll be lucky to see a croc. Not a concern I would worry about in selecting a boat.
    Ha ha ha.... I take it you either don't really know the Fitzy, or you are having a lend of OP. there is a reasonable population of handbags on the Fitzy.

M8 make sure U get 4 stroke they are much quieter especially in estuary systems

ken

Great little boat, defiantly get the 40 hp if u can tho