Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How's the fishing/yabbying at Somerset ATM

Re: How's the fishing/yabbying at Somerest ATM

im heading up next friday for 3 nights .. hoping to get onto a few claw and a yella or 2 for the smoker
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

got this haul after a long night soak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by modo View Post
    got this haul after a long night soak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice haul mate

Thanks for the post modo you've picked up a nice feed looks there's a few around, this time last year we did really well hoping to do the same this year.
    Cheers Axl

Yer great haul for the first time in nearly 7 years of being there ha d a quick fish but with a 2 and 4 year old its hard work and by the time you start which is late the skiers and jet skis don't make it easy good luck and happy trails

headin out to the dam friday. Wouldve liked a bit of rain thru the week to get the claw moving. Doesnt look like we will get it.
    Has anyone been catching any fish there lately ? i am planning on using live shrimp and throwing some plastics, blades around if i get the chance.

Did see alot of fish on the sounder lots of schooled bait had a chat with one bloke he said it had been hard work, get up early before the noise starts I don't think you will have a problem with the red claw rock melon is key

thanks. I never have any trouble finding the redclaw.. always use rocky.
    I am also very good at catching grunter and tilapia!

Ok so SWMBO and I got back out to Somerset Dam last week for a week of relaxing and yabbying, we had made sure that everyone within our group of fishing and camping enthusiasts were aware of the dates for some time prior to the event and it was good to see the best turn out to a dam trip yet.

The first couple of days were nice and sunny but hot with the rest of the week being wet with intermediate showers on and off, regardless of the rain we still had a ball sitting around the camp fire at night solving the worlds problems over a few coldies whilst the kids toasted marsh mellows and I can say that the Red Claw are plentiful ATM.

Everyone who was interested in taking a feed of Red Claw home brought their legal number of pots with them and there was plenty of boats to utilise to check said pots. We ended up bagging between 750-800 yabbies for the week across the group which is by far the best we have done on one of our dam trips, the missus and I are already starting to plan the next trip.
    20160304_145815.jpg20160309_162320.jpg995345_1707689656141136_5269810756397819043_n.jpg12798879_1707689682807800_6652323100454823573_n.jpg12802852_1707689639474471_492608811492176650_n.jpg
    Cheers Axl

The wife and I are heading back to Somerset on Oct 1st for a week to chase some Red Claw, just wondering if anyone has tried for a feed lately?

They should be starting to move around especially now that the water temp is on the rise again.
    Cheers Axl

I am trying to decide where to go for a couple of days around the 6-7th OCT.
    Can you please let me know how Somerset is going?|

We have had 8 pots in since Sunday and have not seen one Red Claw. We've tried water depths from 5ft to 35ft and not one, no one is catching any we've never seen it like this.

same thing happened to me there a few years ago.. pretty frustrating! Just couldnt find any at all.. then they turned up around november from memory

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    same thing happened to me there a few years ago.. pretty frustrating! Just couldnt find any at all.. then they turned up around november from memory
    It was still very cold of a morning, heading down the dam to check the pots at 05:45 in the little car topper I sincerely wished I had thrown some long pants in the van, I reckon we were around a week early.

I saw the first Red Claw for the week on the Friday before we left (we were there Saturday to Saturday), a guy in a tent beside us got around a dozen form some pots he had of the banks. During the week the surface water temp went up around 3deg according to my sounder, it started at 19deg and went to 22deg.

Weather went from nice.....20161001_124008.jpgTo yuck.....20161003_174205.jpgBack to nice.....20161007_140746.jpgI thought the rain and storms may have helped but it didn't.

Oh well the missus has us going back in March so we will see how we go then.
    Cheers Axl

It depends on water Temp. They are most active if the water temp is 28c. Ideal water temp to catch many is 22c+.
    The colder the water temp. the less active. Bring on Summer. I cant wait.