Thread: Finally got my battery for my kayak - Look out flathead :)

Finally got my battery for my kayak - Look out flathead :)

Hi All,

Well its been a while but finally got the battery for my Prowler Torque and I regret not getting it sooner. I went out on the weekend in the broadwater (something I wouldnt have done paddling in those winds) and was very impressed. I went up one of the canals at runaway bay and managed 2 nice estuary cod (released) just in the hour I was giving it a test run. They seem to be just as interested in the bright coloured micro mullets as flathead. I had a little issue with my sounder but I am hoping to get more aware of what speed and depth my lures are running. Both cod where caught very close to pontoons and at a guess I think my lure was only around the 3-4 feet depth.

My biggest flathead to date have been on the troll and with the difficulties of paddling and trolling in terms of speed etc I have moved towards more plastic fishing for flathead over the last 6 months with reasonable success. I even regret the Flathead classic when I found a little hole that was holding a few fish of Crab island not having the motor then as it would have been great not to have paddle the 100 odd metres into the breeze after hooking up to get back in the spot.

I am not a small person by any means so the extra weight with a battery and motor made me nervous and whilst the nose of the kayak definitely sat lower it was hard to guage the difference as I was coming back wind against tide on the way home.

I am not going to give up plastics fishing as well but at least with the motor I can travel a lot further than where i have to date. I have been frustrated trying to fish the shallows of Crab with all that snot weed, I havent fished Crab for 2 months (was overseas) does anybody know if there is still alot of weed around.

cheers Craig

Re: Finally got my battery for my kayak - Look out flathead :)

There seemed to be a bit on Sunday. I was only bait fishing out from paradise point but every time i pulled in the line there was a fair bit of snot weed so I imagine lure fishing would still be a pain.

Re: Finally got my battery for my kayak - Look out flathead :)

thanks Nabba1, i was kind of hoping that the rain might have flushed some away