Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time to 1770 and lady musgrave

Re: First time to 1770 and lady musgrave

you are a champion mate not planing on bringing home a deep freezer of fish mainly going for the love of fishing i personaly will only bring back maybe 2 trout 1 red as my wife has never had either if i can convince her they taste great she should let me go back if i get a few marks ill forward them too you as i will only do 1 trip a year
    happy days ahead summer is coming

No worries! We do the same, just keep half dozen fish for a couple of meals. I've done the fillet and release slaughter thing years ago, and I HATE cleaning fish these days! I liked your "Once a Year" comment. Just try to stay away from the place once you've discovered its charm!!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

a little bit off topic, but when planning these trips what do you use to forecast the weather, just the usual willy weather or do you have something that provides long range forecasts.

yea i was looking up you tube at some video's and its a bit sad the amout of fish 4 people can keep there would have been 200kg on the deck bit of overkill.
    im all for a feed and a few extra feeds but seriously

Quote Originally Posted by sam687 View Post
    a little bit off topic, but when planning these trips what do you use to forecast the weather, just the usual willy weather or do you have something that provides long range forecasts.
    check bom and also seabreeze
    bouy weather has a 10 day forcast i think

While I'm in the mood, here's a shot from Stuart Shoal
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0213.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	105289  

Had to look at where Stuart Shoal was ... this is such a cool look at maps by Navionics, this is a must see if you are planning a trip. http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en

Scalem

That is a great site, thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by FisHard View Post
    You could easily spend half a month at Fitzroy mucking around with lures! Try the bombies on the western edge and around the lagoon entrance on the runout tide. There's also a few GTs inside the lagoon. Same deal as Musgrave, create a safe track on your plotter in the daylight. Personally, I have found better shelter overnight in the Fitzroy lagoon, but that could have just been the conditions. If you're going to Fitzroy (directly, from 1770) its well worth stopping at the Barcoola wreck for some light jigging action. Firs pic is MV Karma, second pic is Barcoola. Don't kill all my fish!
    Here is a pic of the Barcoola. I remember diving there once and could not see the wreck due to all the fish!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fishmagnets6.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	105317

Great pic! Yes there are heaps of fish on it, but I reckon the Karma holds even more!! Have had schools of hundreds of fish follow lures to the surface. Getting them to bite at either wreck can be another story.

Quote Originally Posted by sam687 View Post
    When you have some dates in mind keep an eye on something like the BOM MetEye where you can get a weekly forecast of wind and waves, the best way to judge whether to go or not to go is to keep watching it and if there are no major changes to the forecast as the days progress then it usually means Go Fishing but if it keeps changing daily then give it a miss as often it will be a narrow window of opportunity and you have to be on the spot to take advantage of it. BOM did have another site that was similar to MetEye but I can't find it at the moment as not at home and using daughters PC.

Right people trip has come up earlier than expected leaving Monday morning.
    is there anywhere that is a must visit have a range Of about 240miles so 40 out 40 back 120 to burn finding fish not after secret spots but want some ambos as doing a fair bit of jigging
    going to take the go pro so hopefully some great footage.will be staying in the lagoon for 2 nights

cheers scott

Looks like a bit of a blow midweek Scott. Maybe aim for a single night out or do day trips mate. It is a fair haul out to the reef but easily manageable in a day. On the windy days you can head up to Bustard Head and troll outer rock for Spanish. You can then duck into pancake creek for lunch and a look around. As others have said it is an awesome spot and you WILL be back. Maybe send Lucky Phill a PM.

Hope you have good luck up there mate and do well! I'm going up there this long weekend for my first time hopeingbto just catch a feed!
    A big thanks to the fellow ausfish members for passing on the information that they have as it makes us newbies to the area be able to enjoy the experience just that bit more!

hi all got back wed night around 6pm back to brissy . had a awsome time weather was really good only 16knts going out as directly on the bow but got better each day. lost a lot of jigs to some big fish and the grey suit men landed a 7-8kg gold band snappa that ill post a pick of later and a few other fish i'll post a better report tonight
    cheers scott