Thread: Monday Barra Bash

Monday Barra Bash

I went for a paddle in the Yak at Tinaroo dam last night. My brother Mick went in his as well and we started just on dark and paddled until midnight. Not one strike after the first couple of hours but we weren't too concerned as the wind was dying off and we still hadn't reached the main spot. I could see why Mick wanted to show us this spot as when we got there we spotted a 120cm fish on the surface paddling away slowly without a care in the world. It was a very cool sight and although we spooked that fish Mick soon had a hook up on another. We could see it was a good fish and it ended up measuring 115cm. Nice way to start the tally!

About 10 minutes later he was on again and a fish in the high 90s was landed. We still hadn't got a hit.

After finally getting a strike but losing the fish we headed elsewhere to where Mick snuck off only to see him hook up just when we arrived. The fish was a 110cm specimen and I started to get a bit antsy.

I kid you not, after the happy snaps and release he wouldn't of paddled more than 50 metres and got another hook-up! One of the cool things about this fish was Mick thought it wasn't too big but didn't fully realise what was happening in the dark as his Kayak whizzed straight past us at a fair speed. The fish was really pulling the Yak along and towards some timber. He stopped it in time and was pleasantly surprised as his third metre plus fish was landed. This one was around the 105cm mark to make it 4 fish from 5 strikes to our one solitary hit.

From there things picked up thanks to a tip or two from Mick and we managed a few more strikes. On the 5th strike we had a hook-up and a metre plus slice of Chrome went airborne only metres from the Yak. It was a great fight and at one stage came under the Kayak and belted the bottom with a couple of big head and tail slaps to remind us of the power these things can have. I reckon it was around the 107cm mark to round of a very successful trip. Unfortunately there were no more chances for Aron to score a fish as well. A good excuse to come for another crack mate and score a metre specimen!

Final tally was around the dozen hits between us for 5 fish so not a bad conversion rate and all quality fish.
    I'm loving the shots of Mick trying to get his lures back. The fishing might have been a bit slow but when they did take they certainly inhaled the lures!!

Re: Monday Barra Bash

Some big Barra there. Well done mate.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Mate I can't work out how come you havn't had more comment's on this thread, great report & even better fish, nice work..

Baz

If thats a slow fishing trip, I'd love to see an action packed trip. great fish especially in a yak. Very Jealous.

Cheers
    Bermo

Exceptional work, well done
    Until I saw your post, I was convinced there were no Barra in there, just the wide mouth things
    I was there in 2009 and didn't catch any, going back there next year but imagine the water will be too cold when I get there, maybe July!
    Nice place to stay in any case
    .......Gary

Good report, well done on some good fish......... Do you mind sharing the tip or two from Mick that helped change your fortunes? Cheers Deefa

Guys catching them in a yak bloody hell that's fishing fun
    SEALEGGS