Thread: Offshore spin vs overhead

Offshore spin vs overhead

I have just started a bit of offshore fishing and I am looking at getting another rod for the collection I want something that I could troll with for small marlin and wahoo those sort of things. I personally like a spin reel over an overhead but input is appreciated. I was looking at a t-curve in about the 20kg range (can't remember exactly) and something in the 8000reel size and 50lb braid any thoughts?

Re: Offshore spin vs overhead

thats a very broad area a lot of things to consider here. are you planning on casting as we dont do too much of that in the south east apart from summer. you said trolling might need a 6 foot or 6-6 rod as that is the better size rod for what you want. i personaly would go a over head reel as you can troll,float line,bottom bash very well with this sort of reel and the line capacity is also better on a overhead. I have a 8000 stella that i brought for offshore work love it but than i got a overhead and now much prefer to take it . so plenty to think about
    happy days ahead summer is coming

If you are comfortable with spin gear then stick with it. I would be looking to go a bit lighter if just chasing small to mid size pelagics. 30lb will knock over most pelagics you are likely to encounter and it will be a bit more fun. IF bottom bashing as well then 50lb may be better. The 8000 size is a good size reel and often the better ones will have a second spool so you can run one with 30 and one with 50lb. A distinct advantage over the overhead reels.

I use both out wide but have moved more towards spin gear in the past couple of years, where once it was all overhead gear.

Spin/overhead is personal preference in my book. I prefer spin for the same reason as Camhawk stated..... multiple spools allows different strength line, and quick to switch the spools, one thing overheads don't have.

thanks guys! i do have and overhead that i use for bottom bashing 10-15kg rod and 40lb mono and also a (tuna stick) which is a 5-8kg raider with a 4000 symetere with 30lb braid so i think ill look at going down the spin gear track (its not like i wont find an excuse to get an over head later on) i quite like the t-curves and stradics in the smaller range are they still good in the bigger range?

I'd probably take a look at a saltist or a Saragossa rather than the stradic. I've got all three. The drag on the stradic isn't of the same standard in my opinion.

Just for a bit of review work. Try www.alanhawk.com. Best reviewer of spin reels I have ever come across. My personal opinion is watch out for the imported Chinese reels as he mentions in his lists page. I have personally been caught out by my local tackle world store who sells this junk that you can buy off eBay much much cheaper. They are not bad reels but extremely hard to get parts for. He lists the Saragossa as the better of the ones you mentioned. But for the price I am going to test run a couple of lethal 100.