Thread: Gday from Bris Southside - fisho in training !

Smile Gday from Bris Southside - fisho in training !

Hello Everyone !

Been reading pages of good info on the forums. Great site.

Bought a tinny at Easter and head out each weekend if it's not too windy.
    Kids 4 and 7, like exploring new places and as a bonus, the missus likes it too!
    Best days are the ones where the water's like glass, on sunset.

Had mixed luck around Cabbage tree point, Cobby Cobby and the channels, sometime a few nice ones, sometimes lots of catch and release and sometimes nothing !

Venturing out further around the southern bay bit by bit and today bought some plastics/lures to experiment with.
    Might look-see around tiger mullet channel tomorrow - winds should be light.

If anyone's heading into the bay / offshore from Brisbane area and would like a deckhand/mad fishing apprentice who's keen to learn and chip in for some fuel, let me know!!

Seppo
    ( Yep- that's my real name - from Finland. )

Blog Entries

Re: Gday from Bris Southside - fisho in training !

G'day Seppo and welcome

Sounds like you got it sorted mate

Grab a camera and take some pics mate, always good to read a report of what's happening around the traps ;-)

G'day Seppo. Welcome aboard here mate.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Welcome to the mad and wonderful world of fishing and boating Seppo

Hi Seppo,

It's been a few months since your original post, are you winning? Learning new things, places to go?

Let us know how things have been going.

Scalem

Hi Scalem,

Things have been pretty quiet over summer, work got in the way - was looking forward to getting out over Easter, but it's been bucketing!! Still plan on getting out on at least one day without getting too soaked.

Have had a number of good trips just exploring around the traps, learning bits and pieces and the occasional shocker !! - Was getting really proud of launches/retrievals until a windy day with the tides and a manual tilt not locked down conspired to remind me on not getting too smart. Slid off the trailer, realised I needed a fair bit of reverse to get out away from the jetty at Jacobs Well and with the tilt not locked down the motor nicely pops up with no reverse to be seen!.. Ended up scraping along the railing at Jacobs for a moment.. Recovered OK with just pride damaged, hoping that not everyone saw my entertainment !

Finding a balance between fishing, going to fun places with kids/boss (Tipplers, Horiz Shores, Gold Cost, Slipping Sands, Jumpinpin etc--). Keen to figure out more on fishing, but good things take time. Figuring out ways to see if its possible to get out midweek before work !

Super curious on offshore fishing about the reefs etc, thinking about going on a charter to have a look, or, if anyone's heading out and needs a boat washerer at the end of the day or somehting, I'd be glad to tag along - just send a PM !!

Easter Friday got rained out so that put a damper on Camping! -- But that did free up Saturday which gave the opportunity to go out on an offshore charter from the Gold Coast! -- It was good fun!!, learn't a lot in a quick space of time , saw a couple of tinnies out there as well, it was relatively smooth compared to previous days. One guy on out boat caught a good size snapper, and between us, a load of baitfish (scad?).. definitely got the offshore bug.. lots to learn

Then... Sunday, went fishing again, Son caught a 54cm flathead near the powerlines, he was wrapped, I got a pike eel. After that we checked out the deep hole at karagarra island, - caught a mega catfish maybe around 60cm? , got slimed. Water police came to say Hi as we were messing around with the fish in the boat - they were happy, it got late and we went home--

Then... Monday, fishing again !!! - much quieter, think the fish went on Easter vacation as well
    Really good fun for a few days, work felt tough to get back into.

Looking forward to the weekend

Monday - more fishing, small bream,

Nice work Seppo.

Rest assured no matter how many years we have been fishing we all remain fishos in training.

Welcome to the forum.

Been a while since writing here ! - There's a person with a handle that seems really appropriate "fishtragic"
    It's annoying when work gets in the way of important stuff - hehee

Had the opportunity to get a boat that had been looking into for ages and found a nice Seafarer Victory ! - It's been awesome. 60 hours in the last few months going all over the place.
    It's been getting mods with things to make solo handling easier. Anchor Winch, and Katchya (boat catcher).., definitely worth doing I think!
    Did a bar crossing course with Bill Corten - that was very worthwhile... Have been in/out a fair few times through South Passage Bar, and it's always different.

Have gotten into checking out offshore places lately!, oh wow, lots to learn.

Places that have been so far - off the top of moreton island, cathedrals, reefs off gold coast, harry atkinsons, rous etc..
    Some trips not a bite !, some trips a couple of snapper to keep, and generally some random thing i have no idea on what it is and send it back
    Still figuring out what kinds of sea conditions are comfortable and generally don't get seasick, but some days, get dizzy in approx. 1m+ swell, especially when looking down to the tacklebox ! - Travacalm works a treat.
    Do you get more used to offshore conditions over time in rough weather??

Been out a couple of times in glassy water out at sea and wow, it is amazing. On that trip, there was a cobia?, lurking around the boat and we were trying all kinds of things to try to get it to bite. It had a few nibbles and would run off. Water was so clear, could see super deep. Other times, has been uncomfortably rough (but safe enough) and figured inshore was nicer.

Have had a few super fishing sessions pre-dawn till 10pm, and from mid morning till 2am. Longest trip so far is 93nm with a bunch of spare fuel jerries (getting more experience with longer range trips bit by bit).

The forum here is also great, heaps of good people with ideas and advice --- good fun overall!

Quote Originally Posted by Seppo BNE View Post
    Been a while since writing here ! - There's a person with a handle that seems really appropriate "fishtragic"
    It's annoying when work gets in the way of important stuff - hehee

Had the opportunity to get a boat that had been looking into for ages and found a nice Seafarer Victory ! - It's been awesome. 60 hours in the last few months going all over the place.
    It's been getting mods with things to make solo handling easier. Anchor Winch, and Katchya (boat catcher).., definitely worth doing I think!
    Did a bar crossing course with Bill Corten - that was very worthwhile... Have been in/out a fair few times through South Passage Bar, and it's always different.

Have gotten into checking out offshore places lately!, oh wow, lots to learn.

Places that have been so far - off the top of moreton island, cathedrals, reefs off gold coast, harry atkinsons, rous etc..
    Some trips not a bite !, some trips a couple of snapper to keep, and generally some random thing i have no idea on what it is and send it back
    Still figuring out what kinds of sea conditions are comfortable and generally don't get seasick, but some days, get dizzy in approx. 1m+ swell, especially when looking down to the tacklebox ! - Travacalm works a treat.
    Do you get more used to offshore conditions over time in rough weather??

Been out a couple of times in glassy water out at sea and wow, it is amazing. On that trip, there was a cobia?, lurking around the boat and we were trying all kinds of things to try to get it to bite. It had a few nibbles and would run off. Water was so clear, could see super deep. Other times, has been uncomfortably rough (but safe enough) and figured inshore was nicer.

Have had a few super fishing sessions pre-dawn till 10pm, and from mid morning till 2am. Longest trip so far is 93nm with a bunch of spare fuel jerries (getting more experience with longer range trips bit by bit).

The forum here is also great, heaps of good people with ideas and advice --- good fun overall!
    Congrats on the Victory purchase. I had a Vagabond once at it was terrific.
    Your boating skills sound like they have advanced considerably, since you took it up.
    One of my designers is Finnish (god bloke)- send me an PM if you are heading to the north end of the bay
    cheers

Seppo, if ever there was an example how to logically and reponsibly (mixed in with a big dose of fun factor) introduce someone to boating and fishing, you would be a contender for 1st prize. Good on ya for doing the bar crossing course too. I am sure we will hear some good fishing tales from you in the near future.

Scalem

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk