Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone know a good fish filleting and cutting knife?

Re: Anyone know a good fish filleting and cutting knife?

Thanks for your input especially so TheRealAndy and Volvo, certainly a few things worth considering. I'm not a chef or into carving up beef, just mostly required for filleting fish. I have been informed by various fishmongers, never, never, use a filleting knife to cut a fish's head or for gutting purposes, use a specific gutting knife that has a much heavy and solid blade for that purpose.

Cheers

I was a chef for years and used a range of different knives from super expensive japanese ones to much cheaper options.. These days i use a victoriaknox cooks knife, an aluminuium oxide stone and a diamond dust steel. The knife was bugger all (50bucks i think) the stone you can get for 5 bucks but the steel is a quite a bit more 150/180 or so.

There is a fella that sits in a van in Colmslie every Thursday just after 12pm, just outside the entrance to Raptis. Anyhoo he sharpens and sells knives. Pretty well priced and bloody sharp. He does have Victorinox there but also sells ones name Victory. Don't know anything about them other than they are sharp and seem to hold an edge. Prices roughly around $20ish.

Not a bad price for a presharpened knife ,so long as you keep em away from other halfe that dont appreciate a good sharp knife lol...Ive run out of hidey holes to hide my personal filleting knives and now thinking of burying them in the vegypatch ..Just joking really lol..

learnt from many moons ago butting Roos or skinning a swag of foxes on a good run that there was nothing better than a good sharp knife ... Nowadays they say theres no need for a really sharp knife to fillet a Fish but i'm not too sure about that .. Filleting seems so much easier for this little ducky with a good sharp knife ey.

I also recommend the lansky knife sharpening kit. Although I just use the three stones. Grey/ orange ( rough/smooth) and a white marble stone to finish. Obviously a very smooth steel also. I like the swibo knives I use the 6 and 7 inch boning knives depending on size of fish.(think I even may have a five inch for whiting and such but would be lucky to get used once in a blue moon as I don't fish inshore but it does get used to remove pin bones). I use a swibo deli/ slicing knife about 12 inch blade for skinning. I have found it to be very efficient at the job. I used to use a bread knife that I ground to a flat non serrated edge which I found also worked very well.
    The biggest trick with filleting any fish though is a wet knife, a wet knife slides.