Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know a good fish filleting and cutting knife?

Re: Anyone know a good fish filleting and cutting knife?

Where does everyone buy there knives and knife apparel?

everten sells plenty of knives
    AB

I was boning and slicing in various meatworks for over 12 years and hollow ground knives for other people as well. All the brands mentioned are good knives but i use a usa made schrade 7 inch purely because of the shape of the blade.The most important part is knowing how to sharpen knives. NEVER use some of those bullsh__t sharpeners as different knives are made with different grades and types of steel as somebody has already found out.i use a water stone and a williams pipe steel [nobody touches my knives or especially steel}
    Cheers Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    FWIW.... I never ever wash my " good " knives in hot water or with other cutlery.
    cheers LP
    LP why not in hot water, I agree with the other statements though.

Thanks to all who put in their comments about knives for boning and knives for filleting. Certainly makes sense in regards to sharpening and types of blades.

Wealth of information, unfortunately for me its a budget thing so I need to compromise. Definitely will be getting one knife for each task, that is one for cutting, as in boning knife, the other purely for filleting, edge wise probably 25 or 30 degrees.

Bondy

Holden V Ford here..

In Aus, bang for buck is swibo(wenger) and victorniox. You cant tell people, so you just shut your chops. IF you buy a good knife worth a few hundred, pay someone to sharpen it and get them to teach you how to hone it with a steel. IF you buy a wenger/victorniox, you still have a good knife, but not a knife so expensive you are afraid to have a go at keeping it sharp with a stone. BTW, a good knife with a good edge will last several years without the need for shaprneing for home user provided you use a hone and you dont bang it up.

FWIW, I still cant hand sharpen a knife to the edge I would like by hand, and my old man is tool maker by trade. I do ok, but not great. I can look at the edge under a microscope and I do better than most thought! I uses stones upto about 800 to try match the old man, but still no good. He can still put a better edge on a knife than me, but only just. He is losing is sight now, so I am getting an easy gain on him!

Bronze Member

I have a half dozen Victorinox 15cm" boning knives with plastic handles. Three are in reserve unused in a cupboard while the other three I carry in an elcheapo kids pencil case along with a Dick oval diamond steel for filleting at the boat ramp cleaning tables. Plastic slide on covers prevent the blades contacting each other inside the pencil case. I bought my knives, covers and steel from a butchers supply store because they were heaps cheaper. I think if you buy a good quality butchers knife the brand doesn't really matter, I just prefer Victorinox.

I use a Tormek wetstone grinder to resharpen my knives (and some of my mates) then touch them up regularly with the diamond steel. I already had the Tormek for sharpening woodworking tools, it's a bit expensive to buy just for sharpening a few fishing knives. I think the key is to use the diamond steel often to keep the edge on the knife and not to let the blade cut into anything other than the timber top of the cleaning tables (or plastic chopping boards if at home). I rarely need to regrind the knife bevel on the wetstone grinder. But I get real excited real quick if fishing mates let my knives get too close to the stainless steel of the cleaning tables.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

Regards
    Twosheds

Bondy , do yourself a favour prior to buying a knife if you are on a budget as you say and google "Dawson River Knives"...Sometime back i purchased one from one of those travelling salesmen you often see with a stall set up in your local Mall for a week or so and also selling pruning accessories etc lol.
    He had a last off knife which i then purchased for $11 and thought it would be just dandy as a boat knife only..
    Took it home , used it once and emediately did a google search for the knife in mention.
    Phoned the number i found and to my luck he had a number(good number) of knives that went through the floods which he offered at a reasonable price n i purchased the lot!!!A lot i let go to friends and wish i had kept them now lol though still have the number i originally kept for self use and i can tell you they are as good as any knife mentioned above if not better than some of the most popular brands mentioned .
    Hard thing to do i know but take a small interest in knife care and sharpening and you will always have a happy knife working well for you..

This has been an interesting read. Never thought that much about knives! Given some here are obviously quite expert on knives what do you suggest as the best methods to look after and keep a good edge on a knife? For an average user that is.

Those wicked edge sharpening kits look amazing

If you have the patience the answer is japanese water stones otherwise do some research .

There is also an electric belt sharpener called " Worksharp " does brilliant jop of getting a very keen edge on your blade if you arent heavy handed, I purchased one of these units along with belts from a secondary manufacturer called Micro sharp belts.
    Plenty of youtbe clips of sharpener and how use it correctly.
    Do so and results are excellent. Heavxvy handed or use coarse belts and you can see your blade dissapear before your eyes lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    If you have the patience the answer is japanese water stones otherwise do some research .
    Or just pay someone to sharpen it for you. Unless you use stones for a living, you are kidding yourself if think you can get a better edge than a machine.

I have a few expensive knives here. Super sharp at the the manufacturers bevel. Great if you want to sharpen them regurlarly. First thing I do for the first resharpen is change profile to an edge that will last. I may not be able to slice sushimi but how often do I do that anyway?

BTW. If you insist on using stones over a machine or a professional sharpener then go by and edge pro.

used an edge pro n went for the worksharp and yes i have been using water stones for Yonks and will outdo any machine, mechanical device .. Just takes longer hence the patience needed. And unless your wrists are starting to get a tad on the sore side from years then the worksharp does the starting off for me and finish is on the waterstones . Call me a nut but i do like razor sharp knives .. Habit from my hunting and skinning days maybe but tis what pleases me i guess..