Thread: New boat fisho looking for fishing mentor (brisbane based).

Hi all, bitten by the fishing addiction I have recently gone out and blindly bought a second hand tinnie to try my luck on the water.

With no boating experience and no friends with boats I'm looking for any keen fisho willing to teach me the ropes of what it means to fish by boat.

I am wanting experience on how you go about things in a days fishing. How u explore, how u target fish, interpreting sonar, when to anchor, when to drift, when to change location, rules of thumb etc things not taught but learnt though trial and error.

If anyone is looking for a fishing mate or a deckie im very willing to split costs/ expenses on your fishing trip for a little bit of knowledge in return.

I am very willing to learn please reply or PM me. My availability is flexible most weekends. I have easy access to brisbane river, moreton bay and gold coast

Re: New boat fisho looking for fishing mentor (brisbane based).

I hope you find a deckie etc..... there are many ways to gather info, and here is a great start.

Search for specifics using the " Advanced Search " icon near the top right hand side of the forum pages.

It may take time for people to pm you or answer your questions, but hang in there.

Certainly reading mags like Bush'n'Beach will help being based around SEQ.

I think the first thing you need to do is target a species........ heading out in the hope of catching " something " does not lend itself to being rewarded.

Work the seasons................ summer and winter......... target the species that are prolific in these times..... Snapper and Bream in Winter.... Flathead and Tailor in Summer.. ( only touching on species here ).

Target your species...... decide bait or plastics or hardbody lures.......... target area....... " where do these species inhabit ? "...... and then work the tides and moon phases and also keep in mind the hours........ daylight Vs Night....

People, including me have been fishing all our lives and every time we go fishing, we learn something new...... that's the way it is.... can be hit and miss, but can also be rewarding, not only fishing wise, but just being out on the water and observing all it has to offer.

If you have any spefici questions.......... fire away,

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

What size is the tinnie you have purchased,knowing this will dictate where your going to fish as well.
    A good sounder (not a big dollar unit but something half decent helps,a gps isn't a do or die item but helps with navigation and also having the ability to punch some starter marks in.
    We all had to learn from someone or at one stage had a mentor,i personally had a exceptional mentor at first but also took snippets of info from a broad spectrum of people and to this day still learn a lot of things.
    Cheers Mick.

G'day hweebe, I'm the opposite to you, fishing addict with a bunch of experience but boatless these days (or I should say currently). Drop me a line anytime, always happy to fish or simply provide some tips etc.

Cheers n tight lines.

Im in a similar situation, just got a boat. Need to learn the tricks of the trade, we should get together with a willing teacher - maybe Fishar?