Thread: bearings for an "AUSTRALIAN TRAILER "

bearings for an "AUSTRALIAN TRAILER "

i have recently purchased a tinny on an" Australian "brand trailer and i am wondering if anyone else on here has one . the reason is i dont know what type bearings they run in them? short of pulling it it apart and taking it to some one to i.d it

Re: bearings for an "AUSTRALIAN TRAILER "

Usually it will be one of two types, Holden or ford. On my first trailer I pulled the old ones out and took them to repco and the guy matched them for me. The numbers on the side of the bearing I believe will tell the story
    That's a nice fish you caught... Do you mind if I use it for bait.

I think there is also set that will put a ford hub on a holden axle or vice versa.

Easiest way, apart from calling the manufacturer and asking them, is to take the dust cover off, remove the split pin, the main nut and wqsher, and wipe the sufprface of the outer bearing so you can see the number. That will then tell you what you have. A 5 minute job.

At the same time it gives you an opportunity to see how poorly they have packed the bearings with grease! Dont assume for 1 minute that because it is a new Australian made trailer that they will have done a proper job of that......
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    I think there is also set that will put a ford hub on a holden axle or vice versa.
    Mine are ford bearings and a holden hub.

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JulianDeMarchi View Post
    Mine are ford bearings and a holden hub.
    dont get confused, bearings are related to axles only. What you guys are branching into is hubs which are manufactured in all sorts of crossovers to suit different bearings.

Ford or holden are the most common bearings. They don't change depending on the hub, only the axle.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

More precisely, the stud pattern on the hub might suit Ford or Holden stud pattern wheels.

This does not necessarily have any correaltion with the bearings, which match the axle. You will also find that there is a slight difference to the hubs that mean that they are sized to suit the bearings.

My boat trailer, for example, has Ford 5 stud pattern wheels, but runs Holden bearings.

Just check the numbers on the outer bearings as I described earlier, or call the manufacturer and ask them. That way you will be sure.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    More precisely, the stud pattern on the hub might suit Ford or Holden stud pattern wheels.

This does not necessarily have any correaltion with the bearings, which match the axle. You will also find that there is a slight difference to the hubs that mean that they are sized to suit the bearings.

My boat trailer, for example, has Ford 5 stud pattern wheels, but runs Holden bearings.

Just check the numbers on the outer bearings as I described earlier, or call the manufacturer and ask them. That way you will be sure.
    yeah i tried that but they went out of business a couple of years ago

Your old bearings will have a part number on them.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Agree with the notion of the numbers on side of bearing. I was told a while ago by a bloke at CBC the only difference between Holden and Ford bearings is the angle of the bearings and press fit section thus Ford bearings would fit in a Holden hub and visa versa ? Not sure if correct but would be interested to have confirmation.
    AB

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_bryen View Post
    Agree with the notion of the numbers on side of bearing. I was told a while ago by a bloke at CBC the only difference between Holden and Ford bearings is the angle of the bearings and press fit section thus Ford bearings would fit in a Holden hub and visa versa ? Not sure if correct but would be interested to have confirmation.
    It doesn't really matter what the differences are or aren't.

The fact is that they are not interchangeable.

So the correct bearings are required when they are replaced. The safest way to ensure that you get the right ones for your trailer is to check the numbers on the side of the inner and outer bearings and order the same ones.

Just measure the axle or stub axle behind the wheel. If it is 40mm square or round it runs holden bearings, if it is 45mm square it will run ford bearings.
    This used to be the golden rule but if your 'Australian' trailer is imported from China or States it may run something completely different.
    nil carborundum illegitimi