Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limited slip diff is shuddering when letting the clutch out

Limited slip diff is shuddering when letting the clutch out

I have a 2002 build 2003 compliance plated mazda bravo b2500. It shudders or grabs when you let the clutch off to take off.
    Is my diff buggered? Virtually done it all its 330,000 kms.
    But now its pretty bad at times. Told by dealer nothing to worry about when it was new, it's just the limited slip diff.
    Anyway it has gotten worse. Replaced the clutch (old one was still pretty good though), spiggot bearing collapsed one day and it felt like it was jumping out of gear when trying to take off. Apparently caused by spigot bearing collapse.
    Anyway what do you blokes think? Will diff fall apart or will it hang in for a bit and is it expensive to rebuild diff?
    Thanks
    John

Re: Limited slip diff is shuddering when letting the clutch out

What diff oil is in it? How long since it was changed?
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

I would bet my last dollar its the clutch not the diff.

I'm thinking clutch aswell but if it's done it since new and clutch has been replaced and your thinking it may be lsd shudder (which they are known for chattering) then try changing the diff oil to a high quality correct weighted lsd oil (like redline) with an additive like amsoil slip lock or similar.

Not too sure how a diff (limited slip or otherwise) will cause a shudder when letting the clutch out? but I would like to know....

Probably been nearly 100,000 k's since i changed out the diff oil come to think, used spec oil.
    So new oil would improve diff shudder?

Also would centre bearing on drive shaft contribute if rubber a bit soft? I can move it by hand at least 10mm.

Maybe the only way to be sure is disconnect drive shaft to rear diff and put in 4wd.

And check all your gearbox/diff mounts while your under there...

Quote Originally Posted by docaster View Post
    Also would centre bearing on drive shaft contribute if rubber a bit soft? I can move it by hand at least 10mm.
    The centre bearing in my 99 Triton has been stuffed for 8 years.
    Never noticed it.
    It's still stuffed.

Rod
    My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

Lets be 100% clear here, an LSD with the same sized tyres either side, is no different in any way shape or form to a standard diff when going in a straight line, cant imagine a shudder when taking off, there is literally millions of LSD equipped cars running around and do NOT shudder when taking off.

My guess would be a warped clutch or flywheel if it's only on take off could also be a warn uni joint in your tail shaft

If it was the diff it would make noise and get louder the faster you go and always be there not just on take off

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Lets be 100% clear here, an LSD with the same sized tyres either side, is no different in any way shape or form to a standard diff when going in a straight line, cant imagine a shudder when taking off, there is literally millions of LSD equipped cars running around and do NOT shudder when taking off.
    I don't see anyone definitively stating that the root cause of the problem is the LSD. The original poster has alluded to it via possible incorrect information and is merely asking the question - what's the problem? Maybe a better and more constructive response compared to the two you already have provided is to suggest a possible cause to his issue instead of looking for an argument that highlights your exceptional mechanical knowledge.

Don't lsd diffs have like clutch plates that are supposed to sort of grip to transfer traction to the non slipping wheel?