Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Limited slip diff is shuddering when letting the clutch out

Re: Limited slip diff is shuddering when letting the clutch out

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    I don't see anyone definitively stating that the root cause of the problem is the LSD. The original poster has alluded to it via possible incorrect information and is merely asking the question - what's the problem? Maybe a better and more constructive response compared to the two you already have provided is to suggest a possible cause to his issue instead of looking for an argument that highlights your exceptional mechanical knowledge.
    Not trying to be nasty or not try to understand the problem at all, just simply stating how a diff (especially in a straight line) seems unlikely to cause shudder, not saying its not somehow possible, but there needs to be some better information to attempt any sort of help. The dealer has told him its the LSD causing the problem, and also told him its normal, do you suggest it's normal for sn LSD equipped car to shudder on take off?

If it happens in a straight line on dry tar then it's not the diff.

A LSD has to 'work' under load to shudder like starting off at a T intersection. In a straight line there's no slip.

Docaster send me a PM with your email address if you want a full genuine workshop manual for your 9.9HP.

Patrols are bad for diff shudder, I've owned lots of them.sometimes when the oil gets worn out you'd think the arse end was going to fall out. Do not use a 90 grade oil, use a 85-140 diff oil. I usually use Penrite. When you replace the oil go out and drive in circles both ways or do some figure 8s.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

GET A HEAVY DUTY CLUTCH
    Hilly

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post

A LSD has to 'work' under load to shudder like starting off at a T intersection. In a straight line there's no slip.

Docaster send me a PM with your email address if you want a full genuine workshop manual for your 9.9HP.
    A patrol diff will shudder when you take off in a straight line! Mine was doing it just up to about a month ago and I replaced with new oil, all is good now. Just try changing to 85/140 before you start looking into clutches etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post

PM sent Fed
    thanks
    John

Without trying to make SI give me a blast again, I would like to know how the diff can cause a shudder when taking off its not faulty in some way, I don't say it can't happen, because I have seen a lot of unlikely things over the years, but it seems very unlikely, and, even less unlikely that by simply changing the oil fixes the shudder.

I'd like to know how a LSD can shudder when both the wheels are turning at the same RPM, there's nothing to shudder....is there?

Ok, Had the gearbox reconditioned and problem solved.
    What has happened imo.
    1. Spigot bearing collapsed.
    2. Strain on the input shaft over time causes stress on the bearings and bushes in the gearbox.
    3. One or two bearings fail in the gearbox and because input shaft can move vertically causes clutch plate to grab because of not lining up to mate with the flywheel properly.
    Now clutch is like a new one.
    No problems with the diff.
    I can feel some driveshaft "wobble" when powering on, which is because of the steep angle as a result of the heavy duty rear springs i installed a few years ago because of the constant weight i carry.
    I believe you can buy wedges to tilt the diff at a better angle to eliminate this.
    Anybody done this when they install a lift kit etc?
    Thanks for everyone's input.
    John