Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Daiwa vs Shimano spin reels - casting distance.

Re: Daiwa vs Shimano spin reels - casting distance.

Having read all previous posts i still believe the shimano outcasts the daiwa and i have used everything from the first daiwa"s and shimano"s to van staal and zeebaas.as for the amtack micro wave guides in my last lot of testing using them,gold cermets low riders and ks all on the same blank they and the gold cermets were equal so ive come to the conclusion its more to do with action of the specific blank and guide placement for distance.
    My 2 cents worth after lots of testing.
    Graham

Yes Graham i agree the rod blanks energy with modulus and taper and action and guide placement and good guides have a lot to with it,until you build rods and understand everything its hard for others to understand how much it plays a greater part of things with casting distance.

Well - this has been an interesting exercise guys. I've spooled up the Daiwa Freams 2000 with Berkely Sensei 5lb braid, and using it on the same rod, (a 7'6", 1-3kg Jewel with Sic guides), I found that in comparison, I was casting a 3gm head and S/P, approx' 50-55ft, and with a Shimano Elf 2000 with the same braid on that same rod, approx' 65-70ft. This was undertaken at a local park, and measured over 20 casts with each outfit.
    Interestingly, the Daiwa, when respooled with 3kg mono, outperformed the Shimano with mono! Mind you, the casting performance was only 10-15% less anyway, and it was a still, sunny day. Wind and water on the lines may well affect these results, too.

Graham and Chris - whilst I agree with you both about rod taper, modulus and guides, (I've been building rods myself for over 35 years, both professionally and for my own use,) - this thread was about the vagaries of spin reel spools and their effects on casting.

So the conclusion I've drawn from this experiment is that whilst Shimano's levelwind system works well for braid, Daiwa's spools are better for mono.
    Many will probably disagree, and the fanboys will undoubtedly have their say, but these are the conclusions I've reached through experimentation.

Interesting conclusion its good that you got out and tested both. I haven't used mono since braid arrived so my comparisons are based on braid only.
    Cheers Graham

Quote Originally Posted by grave41 View Post
    Interesting conclusion its good that you got out and tested both. I haven't used mono since braid arrived so my comparisons are based on braid only.
    Cheers Graham
    Thanks, Graham. The reason for testing both lines is that within the style of fishing I like best, ultralight luring for bream, whiting and flatties in skinny water or shallow flats, it sometimes necessitates the use of fluorocarbon through to the lure - even ultrafine braid is way too visible. I haven't yet done the test with a matt mono, just a highly-polished nylon - there may be a difference here, as well. I initially ran some Sedonas and Symetres , but swapped out to Elfs, Nascis and Stradics for their better line lay, and have only recently acquired a Daiwa - as I was very unimpressed in their performance in the past.
    I'd venture to say that without their levelwind/crosswrap systems, either of the reels would suffer appreciably in casting distance - but I don't own any cheapies any more, so can't test 'em.
    So all my reels need to have spare spools loaded with F/C in case there's a need to swap out on the day - hence the need to test both.

Like you, and many others, I love using braid for all the right reasons, but sometimes there's also a real need for even more stealth.
    Luckily, the water down here in Mexico is rarely crystal clear...but on the days I can see fish, it's a sure bet they can see me - and my braid!

Gday robfish,
    As I stated in an earlier reply to your thread, I am more then happy with my 2500 Freams as opposed to my Shimanos, so hope you enjoy using your new 2000. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
    Cheers
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by fishychrissy View Post
    Gday robfish,
    As I stated in an earlier reply to your thread, I am more then happy with my 2500 Freams as opposed to my Shimanos, so hope you enjoy using your new 2000. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
    Cheers
    Chris
    Mate, I've decided to stick with F/C on the Freams, as I need a reel purely for clear water finesse. Proabaly just as well, too. I discovered some microburrs on the spool lip from new - enough to feather the braid with repeated use. I managed to polish them out though, so not worth returning for warranty. Bit disappointed though - if it was a $50 Jarvis Walker reel, I'd expect it.
    Being lighter than my Shimanos, it balances out well on a very light stick - just as I was hoping it would. I've just lubed it up with Hot Sauce, both oil and grease - and cannot believe the difference it makes! A good reel now feels silky.
    Tomorrow's schedule is servicing and lubing all the rest of the arsenal.

Yeah I'd be disappointed too mate.
    I run braid on mine and not had the same problem luckily.
    It fishes really well with my light t-curve, can fish all day with it easily.
    Nice sounding metallic ting from the drag when a good flatty's hooked too!
    Hope your experiences with yours get better now.
    Cheers,
    Chris

As an interesting further note to this thread, whilst away on holiday, I picked up a Pflueger Arbor 30, very cheaply, as the hype indicated better casting ability with the braid peeling off in bigger loops.
    Wow! Spooled with the same 6lb braid as my Shimanos and Daiwas, and on the same rod, casts went around 20% further! Casts of 25-28 metres, suddenly opened up to 33-38 metres. The large diameter spool REALLY does its job! Great on a standard rod with Sic's, but could be an issue with micro-guides. Caught some nice bream, whiting and flatties with no dramas. So far, I'm pretty impressed, but will be interested to observe the longevity over time.

I've always been a Shimano fan, however recently I have moved to the D.A.M reels. I can import a D.A.M reel from Austria that I would rate in the same league as the Shimano and Daiwa series (exc. Stella & Saltiga) for approximately a third of the price.

Usually the D.A.M reels have a slightly slower line retrieval although a more powerful drag.

I currently own a D.A.M FZ 300 FD that I just can not fault. There is an amazing video of Jakub Vagner catching a huge fish using this tiny yet powerful reel.

Here it is, the sizes are that of (slightly larger) than the conventional 1000, 2000, 3000, and 4000 size reels.

I imported mine for ~ $70 and I find it far better than my Shimano Sedona.

P.S I also own one of these EFFZETT rods in a 10 - 35 g CW, 2.2 m length which cost me ~ $90.

Yup. I agree. DAM have a history stretching back eons. When I was servicing reels around 30-40 years ago, I can remember DAM's coming in for a lube only. Daiwas, Shimanos, Shakespeares and Pfluegers and many others came in for replacement parts, but DAM's? Just kept on, and on, and on...