Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fraser for 10 days!!a

Fraser for 10 days!!a

HI guys,

Some of you might remember I spent a month on Fraser last year and blogged about the experience.

Well I am heading back again tomorrow for 10 days and hope to blog again if the reception plays the game!

We caught loads of tailor last year, but didn't have the gear to land big sharks from the beach, however this year we have retooled and are hoping to have more luck.

Will try our best to catch good amounts of tailor, including trying some new lures and definitely spend a bit of time slide baiting.

Anyway, if anyone is interested check it out at http://1monthonfraser.wordpress.com/ Hopefully Ill have some good stories for everyone!

Wish me luck!

Re: Fraser for 10 days!!a

Go getem Shay.
    Lance

Thanks Lance

Landed our first shark today! Think it was a bronzy but not 100% sure. Went 151cm to the notch and was pretty fat! Took about 30mins to beach.

As per last year I'll be there same time, heading over mid next week. Woohoo.

You don't mind if I sleep in your tent? hahaha.

2 spanish and more sharks not landed. Sharks to other guys though

Just a couple of questions. 1 / What rod do you use for the metals. 2/ what reel do you use. 3 / what line do you use. 4 / what are the single hooks you use on your metals.

Cheers.

Don't know what these guys are using but I spin with an old Wilson MT4144 (Medium Taper, 4 wrap, 144 inches - 12 foot), with a medium to high reel mount and guides to suit a spinning reel, this is matched up with a Daiwa Saltist 4500 and 10pd platypus platinum mono. I also have minimum 2 & 1/2 rod lengths of 20pd leader to absorb casting shock and prevent snapping lures off during a cast, I will shorten this by a foot or so every 20-30 casts and replace when I cannot get at least 3 wraps around the spool. I replace my trebles with a single 6/0 mustad big gun http://www.mustad.no/catalog/asia/product.php?id=29 these hooks are straight from shank to eye, have a nice wide gape and come out of the box sharp as needles. On top of my lures I add a single black crane swivel to a split ring and connect about 450mm of 40pd leader before a second swivel at the top of the trace which connects to my main line (20pd casting leader). I will have multiple lures made up at the ready with leader attached ready to go and just tie on the size I want depending on whats going on. I generally start at about 50g and work up to a bigger lure only if I need more casting distance. To date this has been a reliable casting outfit that has landed tailor many told me were beyond this tackle with my best fish just shy of 80cm, a lot of the old salts look on an MT4144 as a bream/dart rod and many tell you that you need 25pd line to land big tailor also, but realistically, they are only going to jump off or bite through leaders so massive lines aren't really required if drags are set well and the lighter lines give you greater casting distance. I did try fishing braided lines but found I pulled hooks through mouths of fish due to the lack of stretch and those that I did land showed very clear damage to their mouths where they had been hooked, so I doubt those that escaped faired well afterwards.

This year I have purchased a graphite rod for spinning slugs also, this was based on some advise I read in these pages noting the rovex air range of spin rods. These are very cost effective and available through Dinga.com.au if that's the way you want to go. I can't comment on this rod as yet but will put it through it's paces off Fraser beaches in the next few weeks as I spend two weeks up there for the school holidays.

Kev

For myself I'm using Rovex Air Surf Lure 4-8kg from Dinga and a TSS4 I just rebuilt with 15lb PowerPro. Tried mono but didn't compare to the distance of braid. Use a good rod length shock leader

Going over to Fraser Island on Monday 15th until Saturday 20th.
    Going to have a crack at slidebaiting.
    Info here >> http://www.bustedfishing.com/uploads...of_sliding.pdf

Also going to be trying out something new.
    It is a bait release system assembled on a pulley rig.
    Not enough time to explain now I have to get everything ready.

I am going to be using spinning reels.
    Fin-Nor offshore 9500 for slide baiting & Fin-Nor Lethal 100 for catching tailor + other species.
    Both spooled with SAS 80 pound braid (certified tested breaking point at 112 pounds).
    The 9500 has 50 metres of 80 pound shock leader on top.
    Using a 2 piece Daiwa rod rated to cast up to 10 ounces (283.5 grams).
    Heaviest sinker I will be casting is 200 grams.
    Down to 150 grams for the smaller ones I will be using (depending on conditions).

Also have a new device to use with only spinning reel rods to enable much further casting out without suffering a sore index finger.
    The device allows you to cast all day without ever having to touch the line during the casting motion.

Quote - "For accuracy and distance the most important element of your cast is holding down the line until the power stroke is complete. Its not easy and can be very painful without some mechanical device.

The Cannon is mounted under the rod in line with the rings and as near to directly over the spool.
    Unfortunately there is a wide variety of reels and reel fittings and many vary as to how they are fitted.
    Attach the Cannon onto the rod with insulating tape until you are happy with its position.

Always check that your clutch is tight before casting in areas where big fish are regularly caught winding your leader around the Cannon three times will allow you to cast with a light clutch fitting."

Tried it on the beach yesterday & it works brilliantly.
    Much further distance achieved than ever before.
    Also learned a few new casting techniques.
    Can't wait !!
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cannon-1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	105207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cannon 2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	105208  

Cheers guys. I have a rod up to 45g lures but was wanting something up to 100g. Was looking at the daiwa sensor or something similar. I found the penn prevail a bit heavy. I know this topics been flogged but a lot of the archives ones are quite old now.

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeW View Post
    Going over to Fraser Island on Monday 15th until Saturday 20th.
    Going to have a crack at slidebaiting.
    Info here >> http://www.bustedfishing.com/uploads...of_sliding.pdf

Also going to be trying out something new.
    It is a bait release system assembled on a pulley rig.
    Not enough time to explain now I have to get everything ready.

I am going to be using spinning reels.
    Fin-Nor offshore 9500 for slide baiting & Fin-Nor Lethal 100 for catching tailor + other species.
    Both spooled with SAS 80 pound braid (certified tested breaking point at 112 pounds).
    The 9500 has 50 metres of 80 pound shock leader on top.
    Using a 2 piece Daiwa rod rated to cast up to 10 ounces (283.5 grams).
    Heaviest sinker I will be casting is 200 grams.
    Down to 150 grams for the smaller ones I will be using (depending on conditions).

Also have a new device to use with only spinning reel rods to enable much further casting out without suffering a sore index finger.
    The device allows you to cast all day without ever having to touch the line during the casting motion.

Quote - "For accuracy and distance the most important element of your cast is holding down the line until the power stroke is complete. Its not easy and can be very painful without some mechanical device.

The Cannon is mounted under the rod in line with the rings and as near to directly over the spool.
    Unfortunately there is a wide variety of reels and reel fittings and many vary as to how they are fitted.
    Attach the Cannon onto the rod with insulating tape until you are happy with its position.

Always check that your clutch is tight before casting in areas where big fish are regularly caught winding your leader around the Cannon three times will allow you to cast with a light clutch fitting."

Tried it on the beach yesterday & it works brilliantly.
    Much further distance achieved than ever before.
    Also learned a few new casting techniques.
    Can't wait !!
    Can you advise where to purchase the cannon from as I am looking to get one of these for the next trip to the island myself and give this a crack.

Just got home today.

Tailor have been on fire last 3 days. Went 2hrs yesterday, hooking up on every single cast was incredible! Just updating the blog entries I've already written but I'm pretty knackered so Ill try to answer questions and whatnot tomorrow!

Heading up in 2 weeks. Werr you getting them on spin gear? Which areas?

Cheers

Mitch

Alright, trying to answer questions but if I miss anything let me know.

I'm currently using a penn prevail 12ft with a diawa emblem pro 550 and fins braid. Will probably looking for something with a bit lighter action for next year if the budget allows. Still overall a nice combo and can cast slugs a good distance.

Favourite lure was gillies 85g pilchard, also in the 65g works and casts well. Liked the duel adagio 105, 45gm sinking lure but casts really well for its weight and has an awesome action. On the last day I mucked around with some different lures like the yo-zuri shashimi slider and some busted fishing lures which cast excellently and seem to catch fish!

I'm using decoy js-1's and js-3's (js 3's are a bit more circle like) and both seemed to hold the fish well, at least as good as trebles and made for releasing a lot easier (js1 far easier to release than js3) size 3/4 and 4/0. Didn't lose a single lure this year, not to bite offs or shitty casting and was using mono leader.

I have a 13ft sensor surf but its a bit heavy, if buying the senso surf I would probably go either the 10ft up to 90g casting or 12ft 60-120g.

No pilchards were taken on the trip.

Got most of our fish from Dundaburra up. Just have to find which gutter, or area of the gutter is holding fish!

Big thanks to Ausfish member BundyMatt who took a couple of snaps of our shark that we missed and passed them on. Really nice bloke! Thanks again